PDA

View Full Version : wire deformer for belt and shoulder strap

david3urns
04-10-2006, 10:18 AM
Hi,
I'm new to the CG talk forums. I'm currently a student working on my final project and had a question about a rigging setup. I'm working in maya 7 and trying to get a wire deformer to work with the rest of my rig. here is what i have so far:
the character is bound, weights painted and deforming very nicely. the character mesh itself is the body, feet, hands and head all on seperate geometry. the character also has a belt around his waist with a buckle, and attached to the belt is a strap that goes from the front right side of the belt, up over the left shoulder and down to the back right part of the belt.

As far as getting the belt and strap to deform i've tried the following
-bound the geometry of the belt and strap to the bones that have influence over the area of the skin under the belt and strap. this worked ok with the belt. when i rotated just the hips it looked very nice, however when i bent the back the skin would pull through the belt

-i used a wire deformer to drive the deformation of the belt and strap. first i used clusters to control the cv's of the wire curve and drove the clusters with parent constraints to the bones. this looked magnificient when the character would bend. however when the character was translated the belt and strap would for lack of better words freak out. the clusters remained where they should when the rig was moved but the belt and strap seemed to hang behind and collapse in on themselves. to attempt to solve that problem i tried parenting just the clusters in the master rig node, tried just the wire curves in the master rig node, and both in the master rig node, with the same results.

-also tried binding the wire curve to the bones. basic result was the problem with binding the geometry and the problem with the clusters driving the curve combined.

So i'm wondering what suggestions and help any of my fellow riggers can offer to a completely stumped student in this situation.

Thanks for reading a post this long, i just wanted to be sure i was describing my steps as completely as i could :D

david3urns
04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
ok, so after playing around with the rig and getting help from a friend i've figured out the problem to be with the base curves created when the wire deformer was made. i'm trying to figure out where and how to put these in the rig hierarchy. if anyone has any suggestions please let me know :D
thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
04-11-2006, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.