PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate the Nvidia 6600 and Ati700x for laptops?

fxgogo
04-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I am looking at a laptop now that my desktop has just died. I have around 1200 of the banks money to spend. So the laptops at that price point seem to have the Nvidia 6600 or Ati 700x as their gfx card. How good are these cards for 3D, compositing and video editing use? I will also play games with it, but that is not a major priority.

tfortier
04-10-2006, 04:10 PM
with the 6600 I can play Oblivion pretty well at 800x600, Antialiasing 2x, and small amount of grass..! it say a lot! (centrino 1.8ghz)

my 3D application is flawless, same as my BFG 6800GT... with a lil bit less particles liberty...
After Effects 7 openGL work like a charm!

the main drawback is the screen size (17")...widescreen not high enough for me! (except for game and movies, but for work it suck!)

one note: I cant update the nvidia driver on the laptop. Toshiba dont release any update and nvidia dont care about there laptop consumers... bad! wonder if its the same for ATI...

ps: Oblivion get a good fps upgrade from installing coolbits on a laptop...

(sorry, im in my Oblivion hype peak!)

I feel paying 1000$ more for a 6800 or 7900 model is kinda overkill...

for 1200$ I can have a X2 workstation with a 6800GT... laptop world suck!

overall I still feel my single core 1.8ghz 6600GO laptop is the best value for money except if you can get dualcore for a fair price!

fxgogo
04-10-2006, 07:07 PM
my 3D application is flawless, same as my BFG 6800GT... with a lil bit less particles liberty...
After Effects 7 openGL work like a charm!
Great, I was hoping someone would say that. The gfx card seems to carry a large percentage of the laptops cost. I would rather put some extra ram in than spend money on a card that will only show its features in games.

one note: I cant update the nvidia driver on the laptop. Toshiba dont release any update and nvidia dont care about there laptop consumers... bad! wonder if its the same for ATI...
Now that I did not know, and is very interesting. Sad really. Does anyone know if this holds true for ATI aswell?

tfortier
04-10-2006, 07:14 PM
I discover it yesterday, trying to upgrade my card driver...

maybe its not the same for non toshiba laptop..!

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2006, 07:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.