PDA

View Full Version : HEEELP!!! Maya Subdīs attach problems

ferpena
04-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi, i wonder if anyone knows how to solve my problem, y have a character but i cannot attach the other side , i try converting to polygons in adaptative mode (1 division per face) in order to do the attachment and it works, but i lose a considerable amount of quality when converting to subd`s again, if i try a higher level it will result in too much geometry, what can i do?

monkeymuscle
04-15-2006, 11:02 PM
Hey.
first, when converting sub-d to polys make sure you check the vertices option in the convert options menue! this will keep your vert count the same. the other options will alter your geometry. In fact never use the others. like all maya default settings, they suck!

second make sure that in the front view all your boarder edges are flush along the xy axis,
then duplicate obgect in -x, combine, select all verts and merge verts at .0001 and you should be on yor way. hope this helps

ferpena
04-16-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey Thanks a lot, the problem is i can`t convert to polys because when modeling in subds i added 2 levels of hierarchy for further detail, and if i convert to polys and back this details will be lost, thats why i converted to adaptative mode with more divisions per face, i finally solved the problem with the subds options, by mirroring and attaching, i was having trouble this way at first, but i think the problem was the history and the amount of threshold, somebody explained this to me and it worked, itīs just a matter of trial and error. Thanks anyway!

monkeymuscle
04-18-2006, 12:51 AM
glad it worked out!!! in general, I dont use sub-d for anything but checking out and tweeking my base mesh. You will have nothing but trouble otherwise. nobody uses them in the biz anyway, so it would be better to just concentrate on polys! sub-d looks cool but your final output will always be polys so its better to a rez into your polymesh. Than goes for nurbs too!
happy modleing dude!

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 12:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.