PDA

View Full Version : fg/gi shadow artifacts (screens included)

sh4dow
04-09-2006, 11:18 PM
i spent the day messing around with the shaders and render settings for a scene i'm currently working on and everything led to some very awful looking shadows which i'd really like to get rid of...

about the scene:

as visible light source i use a box with white surface shader applied
for gi i have a spot light emmitting 50k photons

the shaders i use for the objects involved are simple lambert/blinn shaders.

as you can see from my render settings i've set the gi accuracy and amount of final gather rays already to pretty high values, i also once tried changing the fg rays to 1500 and the photons emmitted by my spot light to 100k but while the overall "structure" of the shadows gets more defined, those irregularities still persist...

slipknot66
04-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Use an area light to create the softshadows instead of a plane. Or check this link
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=213012
But if you really want to use this method, try increasing the FG rays, using 1500 rays min 6 max 50, View Radii checked.

sh4dow
04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
thanks - the min/max radii values did work pretty well, there are still slight irregularities but i think i'll be able to live with them :)

using an area light instead would not really work for me since this shadow is created because of occlusion, not because of an light source not visible in the picture.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2006, 11:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.