PDA

View Full Version : Walk cycle prototype for critique

tron_thomas
04-09-2006, 10:41 PM
I am a computer programmer who is exploring how practical it would be to create animated content in Blender to use in a game engine I want to develop. I have no formal art training, and I am an amateur hobbyist when it comes to animation.

I have been working with Blender to model, skin, and animate a simple character to test for exporting into an animation playback system I wrote. I have been learning to use Blender, and some of the features I am currently making use of are new to the latest version and not well documented. Because of all of this, I decided to keep things simple and break the character I'm working on into an upper and lower half. The character is intended to serve as a prototype for a full character animation that I will try to develop later.

Even though I am not a professional animator, I am interested in creating something that looks good. So I have been submitting postings of my animation for critique. Some people have said that it would be easier to critique the animation if it were not broken into the two halves. To that end, I have been able to create a new version of the animation that does combines the two halves together, and I would like feedback on the results. I am just going to for a simple, basic walk cycle; something that would work well for use in a game.

I believe I have addressed most of the issues that people have pointed out in the critiques I've received so far. The one thing that I'm still confused about is the head bob. I'm hoping this new posting and animation will provide a clear explanation and better content so people will be able to useful feedback.

http://home1.gte.net/res0hi6f/Walkcycle.zip

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2006, 10:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.