PDA

View Full Version : update: Gollum rig

eek
12-29-2002, 08:28 PM
Just a quick update, here's the gollem mesh i'll put the new facer8 rig. It's slightly more detailed!!!

eek

goosh
12-29-2002, 10:20 PM
I was just wondering why you are doing Gollum?

I believe it's a VERY bad idea to do anything that somebody has done so so well..
Anything that resemblesh Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Toy Story, Monters, etc is a bad idea..'cause you'll get inmediatelly compared to the original and unless you are unbelievable awesome, it won't be as good (remember they all have a huge team to put this characters together)
and your work might be very good, but since it'll be compared to the original, it'll look not as good as what it might be

Sorry...

Goosh

eek
12-29-2002, 11:07 PM
I think gollum is a great character to try my rig on, thats all. Its just a more detailed mesh to try it out on! I just wanted a change from my basic mesh, to see if it works ok.

eek
p.s i not animating it, just testing the rig.

LFShade
12-30-2002, 03:07 AM
I think your Gollum is an excellent choice for testing. Can't wait to see how well the rig works on him!

ambient-whisper
01-04-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by goosh

I believe it's a VERY bad idea to do anything that somebody has done so so well..
Anything that resemblesh Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Toy Story, Monters, etc is a bad idea..'cause you'll get inmediatelly compared to the original and unless you are unbelievable awesome, it won't be as good (remember they all have a huge team to put this characters together)
and your work might be very good, but since it'll be compared to the original, it'll look not as good as what it might be

Sorry...

Goosh

i dont think this is much of an issue if he is just playing with this. it would be more of a problem once he starts sending this out on his reel. etc.

meloncully
01-04-2003, 02:35 AM
i think

Sorry...

Goosh

i think the only problem when people make these are ppl like you goosh.

you dont need to compare their work to the "professional made" ones. what matters is what they did and how it looks, not if it compares to what the pros make.

oh yeah, btw i cant wait to see the results of your rig on gollum. hehe, i saw your other thread with the rig, it will be interesting.

eek
01-04-2003, 11:52 AM
It's just for reseach purposes only , to test out my rig for my next short film. This thead wasnt meant to happen, i was really tired, and instead of making a new post to my facial animation setupthead, i started a new thread!! oops.This will kind of be an off shoot thing!
His a major update: rebuilt rig,added teeth, and a quick pose!

eek

diakonas
01-04-2003, 12:51 PM
I think, it is pretty ugly attractive character. I think of that I try remake it too. So, why not? When there are no ambitious to be realistic like in movie, I think, there will not be any comparations.

diak

eek
01-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Here's the muscles(linear) that affect the face:
(i'll start creating each phenome i.e: ee, o ,u ,sh, v/f soon)
eek

LFShade
01-04-2003, 07:09 PM
The more I see this, the more impressed I become! If I can figure out how to get a rig like yours going, I may never go back to morphing the face. Fantastic work, eek!

P.S.: is this latest version still using linked Xforms? I've been hoping to get a peek at how the skin version would be weighted :)

P.P.S.: will you devise a means of storing and recalling specific poses? it seems that that would be quite useful with a complex rig like this.

eek
01-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Wow thankyou,

It's getting there, at present im linking everything up(as we speak!) with linked xforms just to see how it all works i.e stretching,creasing, etc. Then im gunna move on to skinning it.

I definately wanna make a system of holding/recalling poses, somehow.One way of doing it, is to create poses as keyframes,then to put those keyframes behind zero with a tag e.g. oo, ah, blink.Then to copy them when you need them. Be good to have a floater where keframes can be blended or something!

eek

eek
01-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Hey Dvornik,

For the final rig i'll have most controls on sliders, with main controls on puppets. I might need to script some keyframe blending thing!But anyway a little update:

eek

dvornik
01-04-2003, 11:40 PM
I deleted my previous post cause I posted before trying the rig and I didn't know what I was talking about.

Anyway, here's some thoughts:

Try making a jawbone and link the bottom lip splines to it.

For phonemes I would consider creating another spinner set and assigning a bunch of phoneme and expression custom attributes to it (like "left eyebrow up" and "ooo" that would move all of the points involved). Then you assign reactor controller to your points so they react to the slider. Basically they would have 2 controllers in the list- 1 spline constraint and the other reacting to the phoneme and facial expression custom attributes spinners. I haven't quite thought it through but I can't see why it would be impossible.

[edit] The second slider set would be like a "macro" control set that would also influence the jawbone (that will also have a manual controller) and the original set will be for manual tweaking.

LFShade
01-04-2003, 11:58 PM
I had imagined a scripted (perhaps dockable or in-viewport-capable) floater that would include sliders for all of the basic phonemes and expressions, but that would also allow the animator to add additional sliders by capturing any pose of their choice. It would be an interesting challenge, and one that I would not mind taking a stab at myself (in Max only, though)!

I'm not in love with the idea of calling up poses that are keyed before frame zero. I was thinking differently: store and recall the pose data per point. The points that control the muscle splines would need only their position stored, and the path-constrained points that move along the muscles would only need their percent along path stored. The main challenge at that point would be getting them to blend properly. I'll think on this a bit.

dvornik
01-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Actually as I think of it using reactor controllers would create too many controllers for each point which is not practical. I like LFShade's idea a lot but it seems hard to implement.

eek
01-05-2003, 01:01 AM
Hey all,

The problem with reactors, is that you can only have one thing react with one other thing. So those points in say the lips to react to a slider to make 'oo' can only do that.Those points can't react to any other slider to make another phenome! Also reactions cant' blend between each other.

The scripted idea is a much better idea to grab poses and recall them.The problem with this is 3d space and the neutral state of points after each pose has been made. Say e.g. neutral to oo, then oo to ee? Does the data get stored along the way? Does it get reset after each pose. Blending poses as well?

Anipose does do position blending of things, but its flaky and the keys it creates, are standard curves so you get massive distortion and to fix that amount of controls! eek.

A system where poses appear in the trackview e.g oo,ah,v/f and then you can affect there f-curve would be cool? Sliders in max do appear as there name in the track view..

Points on paths are easier, i did do a test a while ago, where i used the max script recorder, to grap pecentages onto macro buttons, but there still was'nt any blending.

I'll have a think as well..you need to be able to blend main pose but also tweak individual points on sliders.

eek

PIXAR
01-05-2003, 11:48 PM
looking very good, but doesn't this setup take ages to make?

eek
01-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Hi PIXAR(cool name!)
Nope, not that long about a day to plan and a day to rig up.
eek

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.