PDA

View Full Version : Only 50% CPU usage in Batch Redner, mental ray. Computer has 4CUPs

Hans Ulrich
04-09-2006, 08:31 PM
My computer has 4 CPUs, two Opteron 265 dualcore.
I have problems getting it to Batch Render with full power.

First it wouldnt run on all CPUs on a single frame, just pressing the render button.
After choosing Render>Render Current Frame and choose 4 cpu it run on all 4.

But when I do Render>Batch Render and choose 4 cpu it only runs at 50%! Im rendering an animation with mental ray.

What to do to make it run on all cpus in Batch Render???!!! Have I missed something?

Anyone else who have the same problem or know how to solve it. Please give me a hint.
Itīs sad having a lazy computer, slacking and only using half the power...:sad:

Maya 7
Mental ray
Windows XP (32)
Computer has 4 CPUs (2xOpteron 265, dualcore)

PaulyC
04-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Mental Ray only allows for two licenses (render nodes) per Maya installation, not really sure why theyre still holding to that considering both intel (now on mac's too.. :) ) and amd are both planning quad plus core cpu's per socket in the near future.

Hans Ulrich
04-09-2006, 09:19 PM
Thank you for your quick answer!
But how come it then use 4 CPUs on a single frame???!!

CiaranM
04-10-2006, 02:57 AM
1 dualcore = 1 cpu
2 dualcore = 2 cpu

MentalRay covers you for 2 cpus. Whether they be dual or single core does not matter.
Sorry I can't solve your problem, but thought you might want to know this information. :thumbsup:

Hans Ulrich
04-10-2006, 03:00 AM
So the problem is not caused by a license limitation then.
I thought so since a single frame renders on all 4 threads.

Stucky
04-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Are you using Windows? did you check the "Set Affinity..." in mayabatch.exe in the task manager? The Set Affinity is for you to control how many CPU's a program can use...

-S

lizardpro
04-11-2006, 03:10 AM
Click on the option box next to batch render. It is defult to two threads. Use the drop box to choose four

Poopz
04-18-2006, 11:58 AM
hey, ya i have a 4400+ AMD Athlon 64 X2. i have the same version of maya and OS. when i render using the batch render and i set it to use 2 processors it only uses 50% of my CPU capaticity too. although i find that if i check the box that says use all available processors then it infact uses both of the cores in my CPU. so, you might just try checking the box and see what happens.

Hans Ulrich
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
The problem disapeared. I did the same thing as before and now it renders at full power. No difrence in the settings but now it works as it should. Strange. But good for me. Sorry that I canīt tell what caused the problem...

Anyway, thank you for your kind replies!

CGTalk Moderation
04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.