PDA

View Full Version : How 'out of date' is the Quadro4 980 XLG?

grrinc
04-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I have a Quadro4 980 XLG of which is now discontinued by PNY. I am looking to replace with something of similar or better performance, but with the intention of playing games on my PC ( something I have avoided before ). I guess I am looking to buy a good gamers card, but not necessarily go too over the top on price. However, seeing as I am not hardware savvy, I dont know just how out of date the Quadro is. Right now it suits me fine for performance, but it doesn't allow me to play some of the latest games. ( F.E.A.R and Oblivion for example ). I am not a 3D professional so I am not too fussed on having the latest spec. Can any one recommend a good AGP card that suits my needs?

Many thanks CG friends!!

StefanA
04-09-2006, 08:34 PM
nVidia 6600 GT, or 6800GT, or 7800GT, will all fulfill your needs. I have a Quadro4 750XGL at home which works fine for me, and at work I have 6800GT. I never play games though, but I guess the 6800GT will be better at it than the card that I have at home (I'm also using Linux at home which limits the hole gaming thing).

regards
stefan andersson

grrinc
04-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Thanks StefanA. I have an AGP slot so PCI is out for the moment. I have looked at this card below and the price is within the limits as defined by the missus. If I replaced my old Quadro with this, would I expect to see much in the way of improvements? Sorry to ask too many questions. I just cant get my head around all these specs and things!! If I had to spend over 200 to get a good card, I would probably buy and XBox360 instead and keep the Quadro!!

Many thanks again.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?nov-6625gt&P=1

StefanA
04-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Gaming wise you will probably see a lot of improvment. But as for working with 3D I hardly notice any difference at all.

regards
stefan andersson

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2006, 08:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.