PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle aquires Steinburg

Array
12-29-2002, 07:27 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/7/28695.html

Lunatique
12-30-2002, 12:43 PM
WTF?

I use Logic, and Apple bought them. My other alternative would've been Cubase, but now...

I suppose those products could become better after the purchase?

Man, if Apple turns Logic into Mac only... ooooh, just the thought makes me angry.

beaker
12-30-2002, 08:12 PM
>>Man, if Apple turns Logic into Mac only... ooooh, just the thought makes me angry.

Lunatique:
They allready announced that from the beginning when they first bought Emagic. They said that they will stop selling the windows version after september.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/jul/01emagic.html

"Macintosh®-based products account for over 65 percent of Emagic’s current revenues. Emagic’s Windows-based product offerings will be discontinued on September 30, 2002. "

parallax
12-30-2002, 09:29 PM
I heard apple is going to buy pinnacle

;)

Lunatique
12-31-2002, 03:37 AM
35% of the total profit is not enough reason for them to continue Logic for PC??

What a greedy bunch of blood sucking @ssholes.

beaker
12-31-2002, 07:09 AM
>> 35% of the total profit is not enough reason for them to continue Logic for PC??

Yea, this one makes alot less sence then the shake one. Shake wasn't that big of a deal because only about 10% of their user base was using window and about 5% of that 10% were planning on moving over to linux. So no big deal on that side. 35% is pretty huge, and they didn't give them a transition period like the shake side was given. But it's business, people go where the software is. Business goes where the money is.

Thalaxis
12-31-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique
35% of the total profit is not enough reason for them to continue Logic for PC??

Well, the last people Apple's ever cared about have been their customers.

I guess that figured that given a choice, people wouldn't choose a mac over a faster and cheaper x86 rig.

Gentle Fury
12-31-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Lunatique

gee what a surprise....the Apple Leach strikes again......i wonder how long till Apple buys out Microsoft and just ends any chance of the consumer having a choice at all (even as slim as it is)

Gotta love software terrorism!!!!

Thalaxis
12-31-2002, 06:40 PM
If the competition were to surrender now and join farces with MS, we might get to see such a world.

I hope that sort of thing does not come to pass... it wouldn't be a bright day for the computer industry.

Mahlon
12-31-2002, 08:11 PM
But Apple has nothing to do with Pinnacle, right? Where did you hear Apple was going to buy pinnacle?

Mahlon

beaker
12-31-2002, 09:35 PM
>>I guess that figured that given a choice, people wouldn't choose a mac over a faster and cheaper x86 rig.

Actually not true, most people go where the software is, not the hardware. Thats why everyone used SGI's for so long and also why many other still use them(some apps that have been DOA on sgi are still being used 5 years after their death: Elastic Reality, Matador, Illusion, Studio Paint, Cineon, etc...). A killer app will make or break a platform, not the other way around. Even though I dislike m$, if they had never bought Softimage and ported soft3d to nt then many of us would still be stuck on SGI's, alot more than we are now. I highly doubt that maya or houdini would have been ported without soft being ported.
Though without softimage being ported, I believe it would have gone strait to linux(many years later though) and totally skipped over nt because houdini was allready being ported to it back in 97-98.

>>gee what a surprise....the Apple Leach strikes again......i wonder how long till Apple buys out Microsoft and just ends any chance of the consumer having a choice at all (even as slim as it is)

Actually this news is over 6 months old, just that Lunatique must have missed the announcement.

Thalaxis
12-31-2002, 09:53 PM
That was my point... given a choice, they wouldn't choose the higher priced and lower performing hardware when the software would run on either, so instead of rising to the challenge, apple bought the software and killed off support for the alternative, giving the potential customer no choice in platforms.

The evidence is there... lots of people switch from SGI's to NT boxes to run Maya because they were so much faster than said SGI's... not to mention considerably less costly.

beaker
12-31-2002, 09:57 PM
Gotchya,
I was violently agreeing then. :)

Thalaxis
12-31-2002, 10:07 PM
Sounds like we do indeed agree :)

At least when MS bought SoftImage, they didn't stop supporting their existing users, even though they were universally running on SGI hardware/software at that point.

It's funny that mac fans paint MS as being a vile and deceitful company (not that I disagree with that) and cite that as a reason to stick to Apple, which is every bit as vile and deceitful, but with a higher price tag.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.