PDA

View Full Version : Reproducing my vector style in 3D?

cranial-bore
04-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi,
I have recently started working more with highlights, shadows and reflections in my vector illustration. I like the look of the work, a Looney Toones esq style with bright colours and artificially consistent lighting effects.

In Corel Draw it's all produced with gradient transpariencies. My question is how would I go about rendering 3D work in this style?
Toon rendering would probably be start. I guess I need a way to knock out a lot of realism and detail from the highlights and shadows. I need a technique to produce stylised but unrealistic lighting. I use 3ds max, and finalRender, but software independant advice would also be great.

Below is a bit of a collage to demonstrate what I'm talking about.

Ideas appreciated.

http://www.diigital.com/portfolio/wip/vector_collage.jpg

lazzhar
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
I think you can get something close if you render different passes of the same object. As you mentioned start with a toon shader to get the sharp outlines and some basic shading, then think to add reflections, highlights, overall lighting and shadowing seperatly as well. Don't stop to inovate some new crazy passes for the sake of tests you will find them useful later when you are working in your 2D compositor.
Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2006, 12:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.