PDA

View Full Version : Help with Masking on 3D object.

SpiralFace
04-09-2006, 06:25 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to Z-brush and I'm loveing everything about it so far. Although there is something that has been shown in many instructural video's that I've watched and I can never figure out how they do it, so I'm wondering if you guys can help.

I whould like to know how I can project loaded alpha's onto the 3D tool that your useing with the intent of useing it as a quick way to model out fine texture details like scales, or skin. The only thing I've been able to find in the z-scripts are the tutorials on useing the projection tool, but I actively check how my aditional sculpting looks in 3D when I use just the projection thing. And I can't find it easily on the few websights I've been looking at, so I'm just wondering how I go about masking it.

Thanks for the help.

urgrund
04-09-2006, 11:47 AM
check out these two threads, I had the exact same question a while back! :)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275991
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=276274

SpiralFace
04-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Thanks alot, thats exactly what I was looking for.

But now something else has come up that has to do with masking,

I know how to paint on an alpha right onto the mesh with the CTL button, but once I painted on an alpha layer, I was wondering, how do you invert this alpha selection on your 3D mesh?

I've already tryed clicking the Inverse button in the Alpha layer pallete, but all it does is inverse the current alpha selection from the Alpha tool option. Once again I know there must be a way to do it, as I've seen it done in many tutorial videos (Exepcialy Pixelogic's fish demo off their websight.) But I have been unable to find that option.

Anyone know where it is?

TVeyes
04-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Press Tool > Masking > Inverse (Ctrl + i) to inverse the current masking.

Mouse actions are quicker IMO.

CTRL + click an empty space of the canvas to inverse the masking.

CTRL + Click + dragging on an empty space of the canvas clears the visible geometry of masking.

CTRL + ALT + Click + dragging masks all of the visible geometry.

jlgroff
04-12-2006, 03:59 AM
A related question; if I have a 3D model that has been completely masked - how can I paint to deselect areas (to get more control over masking irregular shapes) Is this possible?

SajNT
04-12-2006, 05:22 AM
A related question; if I have a 3D model that has been completely masked - how can I paint to deselect areas (to get more control over masking irregular shapes) Is this possible?

I believe the threads posted by urgrund might just have the answer to your question.. as well as mine ; p

jlgroff
04-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I believe the threads posted by urgrund might just have the answer to your question.. as well as mine ; p

Thanks but stenciling or control-dragging isn't exactly what I had in mind. A better way to reframe the question is it there is a toggle keyboard command that will allow me to mask/deselect the 3D model with a brush. To help refine the area of the what is masked in a "organic-painterly" fashion.

TVeyes
04-12-2006, 10:00 PM
jlgroff: You should take a look at the Zbrush help under Zbrush Essentials > Hotkeys & Mouse Actions , which shows (nearly) all the shortcuts and mouse actions.

CTRL + ALT + click deselects from the current masking.

CTRL + click dragging from outside the model allows you to extend the current alpha as a mask. If you enter Transform > Move mode (the default being Edit mode) you can CTRL + Click drag from within the model. Both methods apply masking as a projection so you might need to hide parts of your model.

jlgroff
04-12-2006, 11:32 PM
TVeyes - hey thanks man. that did the trick - for some reason before I didn't click when I tried that before, all now works exactly the way I want it.

SajNT
04-13-2006, 02:21 AM
jlgroff, i got what u mean now. Anyway for those who wanna do brush masking INSTEAD of selection masking:

After drawing your geo, enter edit mode. Uncheck "Zadd". When you're not in "Zadd" or "Zsub" mode,
1) Hold down Ctrl,
2)Left mouse click on the geo, you'll be drawing mask on it instead of manipulating the surface.
3)After drawing, hold down Ctrl, and left click ON the emply canvas will revert the mask, from there you can do anything to the spot you've masked out just now..

Hope it helps ;j

SpiralFace
04-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Another Masking question that I can't find the awnser too.

I know how to CTRL shift drag to isolate highlighted geometry, but I was wondering, is there a way to mask off geometry by painting a mask on the geometry useing CTRL, and then hide the masked geometry?

marcus-civis
04-15-2006, 07:52 AM
Another Masking question that I can't find the awnser too.

I know how to CTRL shift drag to isolate highlighted geometry, but I was wondering, is there a way to mask off geometry by painting a mask on the geometry useing CTRL, and then hide the masked geometry?

Reverse the masking (Ctrl+i) and then press Tool>Masking>HidePt.

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2006, 07:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.