PDA

View Full Version : Pix creatures : need help with shading

djtrousdale
04-09-2006, 05:12 AM
WIP... This is a little species I made up. I've never been satisfied with my own cel-shading, I want to know if I'm on track with this so far.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/djtrousdale/pix1.jpg

If so, then next I will apply another layer of celshading, and highlights.
All comments are welcome

camellia
04-09-2006, 01:54 PM
reducing the saturation of tones would be considerable

BTW you''ll need a background color in order to colour better:)

djtrousdale
04-12-2006, 03:32 AM
Could I ask, why is it better to have a background color?
Any other tips before I finish?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b364/djtrousdale/pix2.jpg

keight
04-12-2006, 08:08 AM
A background color will help give your little guys mass and weight as well as giving them a stage to act on. Light strikes all surfaces in a given area and bounces, or reflects, back and forth between those surfaces. Light from whatever source strikes your critters, the surface they are on and any “wall” behind them. The colored light from the ground and wall surfaces reflects onto the critters, defining their shape and visually associating them with their surroundings; while light striking them bounces to some extent onto those same surroundings, reinforcing the visual association. Ok?

TobyArt
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Heya djtrousdale,

Looking good, i love the little guys design! I was curious if the white in their eyes is reflection or their eyeballs? If it's their eye balls, i'd recommend adding a little more specular to the eye's. Eye's are usually pretty wet. If the white is the lighting it looks a little unconsistent on the guy jumping the highest. I also liked the darker shading under them. It makes them look like they aren't just floating. And a bg would probably help them stand out a little more . Keep up the good work!

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.