PDA

View Full Version : Close Up Planets?

Jonj1611
04-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi,

I am creating a night scene and I would like a really close up moon but when I used the in built planets and resized them it just looks like a stretched texture.

Anyone know the best method to create nice really big full moons with good textures?

Thanks
Jon

phamarus
04-09-2006, 05:02 PM
hmm should be okey to scale the planet and still look good..i think..make sure you scale it on all axes and not stretch it..also...maybe search on net net for bigger resulotion moon maps..or even try and paint one..huh...

also you can perhaps for more options.. and maybe even more realistic moon use a sphere..
theres also som planet materials that you can start with in the material editor..
using a sphere will require a little more work to achieve good results perhaps..but you will
have more control over everything...such as glow..light incedence..etc ..etc
phamarus

Jonj1611
04-10-2006, 06:09 PM
Hi,

In the end I used a sphere and a moon texture, it looked great but not what I wanted so I used a texture that came with Vue :)

Thanks
Jon

firecraka
11-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Have you tried this website http://www.celestiamotherlode.net ....

I found lots of fairly decent textures for lots of planets.... the moon one was quite good.

Try it and see what you think.

Regards..

Rich Jacob
aka firecraka

bruno021
11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
Vue planets are flat, so no wonder it didn't look good on close up shots. I recall some good planet objects given away recently in 3D World magazine.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.