PDA

View Full Version : Question for Alonzo - fbx & MotionBuilder

velarde
04-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Hi Alonzo (or anyone else that may know ) ...

I think you are the one that has played more with EIAS, fbx and MotionBuilder...

I took a quick peek at your tutorial about using MotionBuilder and EIAS, but I was wondering if you have played with another variation.

I've never learned to do bones, skinning and rigging in EIAS (to tell you the truth)

But I've learned how to do it in Cinema 4D from the PixelCorps videos.
I've been succesfull on setting up my character in Cinema, doing the animation in MB and then plotting the animation back to Cinema for rendering.

What I was wondering now that EIAS has .fbx import is it possible to set up my character in Cinema and then export to MB, make my animation and then import the .fbx file into EIAS for rendering...?

I made a quick test but I got the skeleton/bones apart from my mesh... am I on the correct steps or is this not possible yet...?

Maybe Maya users have done something similar..? Preparing your character in Maya, then animate in MB and render in EIAS...

Any thoughts..? has somebody done this workflow succesfully? combining EIAS with MotionBuilder and another 3d package (be it XSI, Maya, Cinema, Lightwave) by fbx..?

thanks

fjv

NorthernLights
04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
You shouldn't have too much trouble doing this. But don't bother setting up fancy materials or textures. FBX doesn't support a whole lot of material data and EI doesn't import textures at the moment.

AVTPro
04-23-2006, 08:31 AM
You shouldn't have too much trouble doing this. But don't bother setting up fancy materials or textures. FBX doesn't support a whole lot of material data and EI doesn't import textures at the moment.

Hey Fern...sorry I have been out enjoying the Spring air.

So Blair answered your question, I would go with what he says. "Yes." You can use anything that exports FBX. He's the talented programmer who wrote FBX for EIAS. FBX is quickly becoming the new 3D standard. Blair has done an awesome job and when he says "Yet"...my ears perch up.

So on that note, I wanted to talked to you Fern anyway. Somewhere in beta testing,My old Pupil FBX file stop working. It's the programmers fault :) LOL.

Anyway I don't think the Lovita or Pupil files are good anymore but I haven't tested them. I'm almost sure of it though.

So I would like to submit another file to the Mighty EI WebMaster ...that's you Fern :) no gag line. LOL

Anyway, I revamped the new files. "Pupil FBX Update.sit"

http://homepage.mac.com/avtpro5/FileSharing9.html

Thanks

velarde
04-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Hi, Alonzo.

Was out of town all this week.
I"ll check your updated file and replace it with this new one.

Thanks for tutorial, by the way.

fjv

AVTPro
04-30-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi, Alonzo.

Was out of town all this week.
I"ll check your updated file and replace it with this new one.

Thanks for tutorial, by the way.

fjv

Cool. Hope you had a good time.

I'm not so sure if the texture will link up again if the fbx is imported back into MotionBuilder, but I do know if you import the fbx into EIAS you can assign them with little effort.

Youre welcome. Have fun.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 04:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.