PDA

View Full Version : Low-poly character modeling question

BoomRat
03-07-2002, 09:11 PM
Hi all. I'm probably going to get nailed or flamed for posting this query in 3 forums but I feel the need to cover my bases.

This may seem a trifle dense of me but I was wondering if someone could point me to a good resource for low-poly character modeling.

What I am looking for specifically is a good way to model the joints of characters for use in games and real-time animations. I've done a couple of models and they're OK but I need to do some work around the hip and knees to get them right.

I appreciate any help in this.

The Magic Pen
03-08-2002, 01:03 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556228155/qid=1015535081/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_3_1/104-1885352-1193569

BoomRat
03-08-2002, 04:17 AM
...but I wasn't sure if it was what I needed.

Has anyone used this book or does anyone know anything about the author?

BoomRat
03-08-2002, 05:30 AM
I just read some online interviews and his bio.

So I guess he does know what he's talking about.:D

Doubt
03-08-2002, 06:30 AM
Steed's book is good, i've learned some good stuff from it. it's to the point now though where models are going well above his polygon limits.

still some good information in there though.

The Magic Pen
03-08-2002, 06:40 AM
He may not build the highest poly model but the techniques are solid..especially the stuff about building splines and surface modeling , very useful for building medium poly models. I hope he does do another book though the guy is bloody brilliant !!

BoomRat
03-08-2002, 07:09 AM
Pen, I read in an interview that he is going to do a book on animation.

My opinion, if it covers game movement, that'd be cool. I've done some looking around and it seems that anything to do with game modeling(other than vrey basic) and animation is kept secret. I mean, you look around and you can find just about any tutorial on how to build hi-res characters. Try to find something on game or low-poly stuff, nada.:mad:

The Magic Pen
03-08-2002, 12:17 PM
Boom your right, even at the places I have worked the character modelers have been secretive . The thing I noticed is that it's pretty easy to catch up with someone skill wise once you learn technique when it comes to modeling.

Fabool
03-10-2002, 06:31 PM
Anything gaming wise, go to http://www.planetquake.com/polycount .
There's at least a dozen modelers working in game companies that frequent the message boards, and they're actually pretty helpful from time to time :)
And of course, check the resources on the left frame for a pile of tutorials.

ares
03-18-2002, 08:53 AM
http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/001100.html
That should be a help to you.

mcaron
03-20-2002, 04:13 AM
Boomrat, if your problem is that you don't know how to tecnically model your character, that is how to biuld the mesh and so on, then this book will help you.

But if you're not new to modelling and your problem is more graphic, like how should the knee look, then you need 1) a book on drawing or sketching nudes, 2) pen and paper and 3) time to practice your drawing skills.

BoomRat
03-20-2002, 09:03 AM
No, mcaron, I'm not new to modeling, been doing it for about two years.

Problem is I went to a semi-sorta OK school that pretty much rushed over the modeling aspect of 3d and focused more on animation. That and they didn't teach low-poly modeling.

The book, which I did buy and read in great detail, was EXTREMELY helpful.

spakman
03-25-2002, 10:58 PM
A lot of people don't talk about how-to, cos their techniques might be specific to how it works with their engine. That can go for modelling, animation, setup, textures, etc...

But I'll let u in on a sort of secret. Those high poly modelling tutes are all u need. Instead of thinking low poly, think "control mesh" --pretend you're building the control mesh for a sub-D surface.

Since control cages are inherently built for animation, you can be pretty sure that your model isn't going to blow up when the animator gets his hands on it.

Also, with smartly built "control cages" you can manually uprez or downrez a helluva lot easier than with automated tools (read: delete edgeloop, or collapse transverse edges between two edgeloop - and visa versa)

Cos I do my models this way, if the animation programmer sez "whoah this model is too dense, or we've got some extra cpu cycles, go for it" I can modify my model a little easier than mebbe otherwise.

I think if you approach game modeling with the Low Poly Gamers attitude before you've actually got your job, you're going to be playing some hardball catchup with the former film and commercial FMV modellers who are now going into games because of the evergrowing sophistication real-time can give to their vision.

cya

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.