PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Newbie looking for advice on this piece

ctanman
04-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Hello, I am a newbie at art, but I am really interested in digital painting and stuff.

I saw this turtorial on this website, I think his name is Randis Albion and I am trying to paint this picture following his turtorial, and I find it pretty difficult.

Anyway, I just bought Paint Shop Pro (Newest) and I find it to be pretty powerful, and I thought, heck, Ill give this guys tutorial a try.

Anyway, after about 6 hours of work, I am at this point...
(The hair I havent even touched yet, so please dont say its messed up! lol) Sorry for big picture!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v700/raven_of_corax/Image3.jpg
A question I have...

These people's blending on portraits in seemless, I try to use a tool called smudge like it says, but is there something i can download thats better? I think you can see part of my problem I am having with this in my version of this guys painting.

That is my main problem (Blending).

Anyway, some critiques and input would be nice.
Please take into consideration that this is my first ever try at using a painting program! (LoL)

Thanks

arisuonpaa
04-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Nice start :thumbsup:. I think the face needs more shading to make it look more round. Try to temporarily desaturate the picture. This lets you easily judge the values.

-Ari

CyborgJA
04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
eye - mouth axis ! :p

secretasianman
04-08-2006, 07:03 PM
propotions are wrong in areas.

seems flat, or as ho wi take it looking.

not bad just need a few changes.

Archibald
04-08-2006, 07:29 PM
hey!
i dont agree that your biggest problem is blending, see above for whats wrong, but if you want to blend use a soft-edged brush, and (example: you want a highlight on the nose) set the opacity low (I use 30% in photoshop), then paint over the whole nose, then repaint over that covering a smaller and smaller area each time. every time you repaint over an area, its gonna get a little brighter, but you wont have any sharp edges->smooth transition!

stay away from smudge...

remember not all tutorials are good ones!

ctanman
04-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi again, thanks for the replys.

Here is the peice I am trying to recreate, as you can see, theres somthing I am not doing right blending wise.

http://67.15.36.49/team/Tutorials/idolayu/images/035.jpg

The color transition looks so smooth and realistic.

I am working on the porportions now

Thanks for the feedback.

CGTalk Moderation
04-08-2006, 07:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.