PDA

View Full Version : Image Formats (Camera) & What to Shoot

RiKToR
04-07-2006, 11:46 PM
Ok, so after watching Dylan Cole's DVD and other people work, I am curious what image format predominately used for your archives of photos. I have a Nikon D50 DSLR and I have been using RAW (NEF) format for the added funtionality in PS's Camera Raw but I see that others are using high res JPG or TGA or TIFF. RAW's are considerably bigger then my Highest Rez JPG 2.5 MB to 5-6 MB for RAW. Am I going for over kill?

Also what are the types of photos you need build an image stock? I have been taking some pics landscapes, buildings, skys but what are some more common shots that are uncommon for a beginer to think about.

Any help would be great thx.

derwolpertinger
04-08-2006, 02:09 AM
I'd suggest to archive the raw files, because in case you want to do color, and other corrections tot he image, there's no considerable loss in image quality. Raw file size is more, but harddrives are pretty cheap nowadays aren't they? The best archiving format however is the Adobe DNG format, you can download the DNG Converter for free from Adobes website. It's the best because of future compatibility, you won't be able to open your .nef files in a few years anymore because it will no longer be supported, DNG on the other side will be. Another plus is that the .dng file size is a bit smaller than the original raw from which it has been converted.

RiKToR
04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
I looked into the converter and I think I will switch, I have 500 GB of space so I am not too worried for now. Any more advice on what I should shoot, is there something that you shot not sure that you would use it but found it to be quite common? Oh and how may people just use the default PS brushes? And if you don't why and what for? Thx.

CGTalk Moderation
04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.