PDA

View Full Version : DF Particles VS. Combustion?

tntman
04-06-2006, 10:27 PM
If you use DF particles and Style: Bitmap, and map some shape into it, trying to make it look like smoke or whatever, it previews slow, aswell as all other particles in DF.

But in combustion where you only can have Bitmap (or as they call it "Shapes") it previews alot faster. Running both programs in 2D mode. How come? Does Combustion use OpenGL to preview its Particles and not DF? Or is it some setting in Df that I don't know about?

Freak!!
04-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Can't be sure....

Have not used combustion in many years....

But i bleieve they use Particle Ilussion as their particle engine.....
PI is a Realtime OGL 2D Particle System, from wondertouch...

DF has real 3D particles, and not just 2D.....

This would make a large difference to their speeds, So DF maybe slower
but it can do many more things than PI..

tomtm
04-13-2006, 02:08 PM
The Particle System in Fusion is very cool.... it's comming without any presets f, so it might looks very complicated to teh first view... but with all the nodes and stuff, you can build very very amazing particle stuff..... it's true, it's much slower than the particle illusion
engine in combustion, but you have complete render controls to DF particles.....

I just hope, Fusion Particles will receive weights and particle generation limits.
I know, that we can simulate "weight" using directional force tool or so,
but it would be very useful to have weights included.....

I don't know, but does the particle forces like directional forece and bouncers 3d
regions? so is it a sphere or a disc who limits particle behavior?

Greets Tom

Jayk2k
04-15-2006, 07:31 PM
As far as I know the particles under combustion are OGL accellerated. Under Fusion 5.0, the particle system in a 3D view is also OGL accelerated, and is quite a bit faster than what was offered under version 4. If the particles are set to 2D, the particles take the same amount of time to render as they did under version 4.

Crovex
04-30-2006, 02:08 AM
The options for the particles in combustion are a lot smaller than those in Fusion.

Rendertimes are faster because it's 2d particles. There are a lot of presets in combustion. Sometimes the combustion particles are very buggy and make the system crash, especially on higher resolution. I don't know exactly why, but it has to do with the openGl and the screen resolution.

Since combustion uses particle illusion it is better in my opinion to just buy particle illusion 3 and download the libraries from the site (each month new libraries). Skip the combustion part because it is not very reliable. The only restriction with particle illusion is that it uses openGl and the resolution is limited to the screen resolution, but if you have a good graphical card you can up your screen resolution just for rendering out the particles from particle illusion.

The alpha and color export channels from particle illusion are very clean and easy to integrate into other compositing programs.

I have not yet used the particles in fusion that much, but I come from a Maya background and I appreciate the expression and scripting possibilities with the particles in fusion.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2006, 02:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.