PDA

View Full Version : Smoothing group in Zbrush

CharlesVarenne
04-06-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi,

Here's the problem. I would like to keep some hard edge on some part of my model. For that I can smooth in 3Ds max by using the option smooth by smoothing group. Any way I can do something similar in Zbrush?

I know I can smooth my whole model and keep it all hard edge in Zbrush. The problem is that I have some organic part and non organic part on the same model. So really the best would be to do something similar than in Max by smoothing by smoothing group.

Thanks people

benclark
04-06-2006, 06:56 PM
The easiest way I have found to do this is to Smooth in Zbrush keeping all the edges hard. Then go around the model with the smooth tool set to a low number and smooth over the sections that you want smoothed, leaving the hard edges hard.

I hope that makes some sense, otherwise the other technique is to use pinch and smooth but that gives you much less crisp edges.

There is also another way to do this by using masking ibn Zbrush but I've never tried it. I know how to do the Greeble/Zeeble thing but not how to use masking to harden edges. Anyone know?

GSmiley
04-12-2006, 06:50 PM
The way I handle this issue is making the organic and inorganic parts different groups, then use partial mesh visibility(Ctrl+Shift clicking) to only select either the organic or inorganic parts. You will only be able to edit the stuff you can see, so your inorganic parts won't get lumpy/textury. I use this technique along with Edge Loops and crisp edges to get the look I want. Masking works in a very similar way, but I just don't use it.

Also, if you don't have the ZBrush Practical Guide, I would suggest getting it and looking at some of the tutorials. They handle some of these issues.

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 06:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.