PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Monthly Animation sessions

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 08:39 AM
ok guys, as we're getting a bit of interest how about having this as the home of ideas in the same way the daily sketch group has one.

lets get some guide lines in though.

we do one session a month so people can get it fininshed and obviously we don't wanna stop people doing the ten second club (http://www.10secondclub.net/) stuff coz thats awesome two.

each exercise can be no longer than 15 secs in total again so people can actually finish. though its not a hrad rule you can go over if you need to.:D

each exercise should be character driven because theres already an effects animation challenge about to start.

other than that the sky's the limit, post away.

wtoddk
04-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Great idea Dalmanna....

I agree with most of what you suggested. One month sounds like the way to go. I'm not sure if the time cap is necessary. Depends on how we do this. If we do a 10secondclub type thing, were we animate to a specific audio clip, obviously there's a fixed length of seconds to animate. However if we do theme-based challenges, a time limit isn't really needed, don't you think?

If we can do theme-based animations, I've got some ideas..... :twisted:

Sure hope we can get the ball rolling with this. :bounce:

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
yeah man, sorry i just spammed you with an email about this lol, but yeah time limit isn't needed really i just thought it would make people focus on quality over quantity but again its up to the folks doing it if you think you can do more then do it its all cool with me.:buttrock:

wtoddk
04-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Alright I'm getting kind of confused between the different threads on this! (animation session rules / ideas for animation sessions) :argh:

but for me, the biggest questions is where we do it based on a specific audio clip, or if we do it theme-based. Like, (I think I saw this one somewhere else recently) "Waiting for a bus" or, "Walking your dog" or maybe "sitting in traffic".

I dunno, maybe one month it could be an audio clip, another month theme-based. What I don't like about 10secondclub.net is that it's all dialogue based. Sometimes I like doing more physical animation, not to be restricted by the pre-recorded dialogue.

Another idea could be to animate to a music clip. Maybe the theme could be the song lyrics. Each animator could interpret the lyrics their own way. That could produce some interesting results. :p

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 11:43 AM
yeah all of that is cool i was thiking like you pick a subject say it has to show a sad character and you can do it anyway you like, to music, to a voice clip, or just animate straight out.

the most important thing for me is that everyone learns to do good quality rather than massive amounts. just makes for better viewing.

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 03:42 PM
here's a couple i've thought of.

'awe' as in to be in awe of something jaw on thr floor type stuff

'adventure begins' like the cool bit in treasure planet when jims solar surfing

'reasurance' as in it'll be ok....:cry:

'flat tyre' make up a situation involving a flat tyre

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 03:48 PM
or....

'parting company'

'sorry'

'pistols at dawn'

wtoddk
04-06-2006, 03:52 PM
good! Here's a few more:

"waiting" or "impatient"
"traffic" (you can see what my daily commutes are like these days)
"fill'er up"
"desperation"
"anxiety"
"hopeful"
"bad dream"
"refreshing"
"I can't hold it!"
"Look at that!"

just off the top of my head.....

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 03:54 PM
thats the stuff :bounce: this will rock if we can get it going just simple words create a mass of ideas in my head but such is the way of the animator :D

SirReality
04-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I also vote for an "anything goes" school of digital animation for the challenges (2D, 3D, digital stop motion, etc). Yes, it will make it harder to judge, but CGSociety is a great place to push boundries, and you never know what you are going to be competing against in the industry.Limiting the steps turned in is okay. Absolutely need some steps along the way, though. This helps artists with planning... and it helps others by seeing what leads to an awesome animation. Maybe: thumbnails (storyboards) - animatic - final animation? And, anything else an artist wants to include.

Since we aren't competing for prizes... what is the feeling about animation teams?

I'm not a big fan of animating to a set sound file here. Yes, that is how the industry does it, but it feels a little confining in this environment. I am in favor of a topic similar to the daily sketch group. Sometimes it is quite specific, other times it is quite open. I think we should start with simple (and useful) animations such as:

Walking (front)
Walking (side)
Running (front)
Running (side)
Jumping (...)
Talking (...)

These animations can be built up into a library by each artist and used in future challenges which get more complex as we go.

On the length of the animation... 15 seconds is 180 frames of typical 2D 12 frames-per-second, or 450 frames at a high-end 3D 30 frames-per-second. I think this is a very good length of animation for simple concepts (see above), but seems really short if there are any story elements included in the challenge. Longer animations would be easier after building up a library of simple animations.

Also, a thread for animation resources is certainly in order. I've been hunting the web for resources lately and they are a little on the scarce side. Exchanging this kind of information can only help improve the projects we will see and create each month.

SirReality

dalmanna
04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
yeah the 15 second limit is kinda just a guide you can make it as long as you like, it just makes sense to have a guide that is doable in a month.

the idea behind these is an animation exercise rather than telling a story, you can kinda hint at a bigger story but the idea is to limit animators as we have a tendancy to want to make epics everytime a new project is started. to get what i mean watch disneys tarzan the bit where he first sees jane and he puts his hand to hers. theres a whole load of back story you can get from just that bit. admitittedly that was all glen keane but thats what to aim for if you want a story in it.

Wabit
04-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Finally… some animation exercises! I love the whole theme based idea, and I certainly think every medium should be allowed – animation is animation, be it with sticks or paper. Having a theme gives so much more scope rather than just a piece of dialog… But if you have some dialog that fits the theme, and you want to animate to it then great.

Sounds good to me guys, I’ll certainly try and join in with the first theme.

rblitz7
04-07-2006, 10:09 PM
I think there should be mini contests that focus on the principles of animation similar to ones on simplycg
http://simplycg.net/viewtopic.php?t=653

raylistic
04-08-2006, 03:17 AM
sounds interesting, and i would definetly participate.

Chris Bacon
04-10-2006, 01:41 AM
I like all the ideas, Animation to a sound clip..as well as animations based on spesific events like waking after a bad dream, as long as its fun (and animation always is) Im up for it...

SirRon
04-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Always glad to hear about animation challenges :)

IMO we should stray away from movie quotes since that's 10secondclub's thing. Short character driven exercises would be great. Like:

Listening to a joke and then laughing.
Hear a rude comment from a stranger and slapping them.

These could probably be done in less than 10 seconds. Why don't we call it our LessThan10Second Club? LOL :cool:

Personally I'd like to go for a quantity of quality... What I mean is that the challenges are short (like you can probably finish in a week) but really push to make it your best 5 seconds worth of animation ever. And have the deadline be 2 weeks.

Another suggestion I have is to do "Masterpiece" studies. Take a short clip from a favorite animated movie be it traditional (101 Dalmations, Tarzan, etc.) or 3D (The Incredibles, Ice Age, etc.) and try to copy it frame by frame.

Animation teams sound great but definately on the difficult side. I'd like to learn what it takes to be an animation supervisor myself.

Seriously, I think someone just needs to pick a topic or theme from a hat and just start the challenge. BTW Those guidelines sound great dalmanna.

SheepFactory
04-11-2006, 03:42 PM
I have already mentioned that the challenges will be back once the animation hosting happens for cgportfolio. The topics are already picked for the first couple of em.

First of all they will be mostly about real life scenarios you will encounter as an animator. Those will include dialogue and physical animation too.

The masterpiece studies idea is just not gonna work. if you want to learn good animation study acting not trace someone elses work. I am all for studying the choices that other animator made but tracing it is not going to teach you anything.

I'd like to learn what it takes to be an animation supervisor myself.

years of experience , ability to see the mistakes of others and offer solutions , be nice and helpful , be a team leader.

--

If you guys want to start some unofficial mini challenges by all means do so. But the official anim sessions will not be restarted till cgportfolio anim hosting happens.

_A

dalmanna
04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
The masterpiece studies idea is just not gonna work. if you want to learn good animation study acting not trace someone elses work. I am all for studying the choices that other animator made but tracing it is not going to teach you anything.

_A

there is one way this kinda thing could work but it wouldn't be tracing, you could take scene animate it how you enterpret it and then you'll begin to understand why the animator of the original made the choices he did. this would be more of a study than tracing.

as for the unoffical mini challenge thing, that'd be cool to have between now and when the proper one starts.

Wabit
04-12-2006, 08:00 AM
I have already mentioned that the challenges will be back once the animation hosting happens for cgportfolio. The topics are already picked for the first couple of em.
The last time I got involved with an ‘official’ animation challenge here it was left to fade away and disappear in the ocean of threads. I hope these new challenges don’t suffer the same fate..

Wei2k
04-13-2006, 04:24 PM
a once a week really short animation clip could be cool. cant' wait for the challenges to start up again, if only to see more animation posts on cgtalk.

SheepFactory
04-14-2006, 08:27 PM
The last time I got involved with an ‘official’ animation challenge here it was left to fade away and disappear in the ocean of threads. I hope these new challenges don’t suffer the same fate..

tell that to the people not participating :)

yargola
04-14-2006, 09:48 PM
I have already mentioned that the challenges will be back once the animation hosting happens for cgportfolio

SheepFactory, since animation hosting in the cgprotfolio suppose to be avilable only to cgsociety members,does that mean that the animation chalenges will be only with the use of cgprotfolio's? :curious:

SheepFactory
04-16-2006, 04:57 AM
No you are more than welcome to host your animation yourself. But I dont think you will find a cheaper anim hosting solution than cgportfolio anywhere on the net.

ZephyrStar
04-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I've been waiting for something like this (on CGTalk) for awhile...I think the monthly idea is great, and I like the idea of the themed contest...but realistically, if you're looking for honed animation, I doubt the animations would/could be very long due to people's schedules and such. Maybe we could switch it up, and do fixed length clips one time, and a theme another time. However it goes, I'll get in on it. I look forward to it guys.

selfwedge
05-02-2006, 04:52 AM
so is it going ahead or what? i need something to get my ass up and to do more animations, a littel incentive.

dalmanna
05-02-2006, 02:55 PM
so is it going ahead or what? i need something to get my ass up and to do more animations, a littel incentive.

i was gonna get one going in here but they seem to be doing it here (http://happysack.org/forum/) now. could still set one i suppose but it might not get as much support as it would have. but when they start hosting anims here then it'll kick off properly

OneSharpMarble
05-06-2006, 12:19 AM
I would also like to get in on this. I will keep an eye on these forums for when it starts up.

Wabit
05-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Seeing as Cgtalk is taking its time to start this up i say we get cracking and do our own going on the suggestions posted above...

cmccad
05-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Seeing as Cgtalk is taking its time to start this up i say we get cracking and do our own going on the suggestions posted above...

Seconded. Here's the ideas so far:

'awe' as in to be in awe of something jaw on thr floor type stuff
'adventure begins' like the cool bit in treasure planet when jims solar surfing
'reasurance' as in it'll be ok....
'flat tyre' make up a situation involving a flat tyre
'parting company'
'sorry'
'pistols at dawn'
'waiting' or 'impatient'
'traffic' (you can see what my daily commutes are like these days)
'fill'er up'
'desperation'
'anxiety'
'hopeful'
'bad dream'
'refreshing'
'I can't hold it!'
'Look at that!'

Sorry if I missed some.

I vote for 'parting company'. Maybe this should be an official poll?

gorillapanse
05-10-2006, 02:39 PM
hey guys...

that all sounds nice... so why dont we just vote for it...?
i personaly like this ideas...

'I can't hold it!'
'Look at that!'

CapedMagician
06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
This will be great! I'm definitley in. Character driven topics are your best bet, whether they're soundclips, masterpiece studies, action/reaction.
Here's another idea that 10 second club doesn't do. Maybe have some of the clips be "directed" in a way. Have the topic and then give basic character directions, ie: the character needs to jump up from a sitting position to put emphasis on this word. Of course this can be interpreted by the animator. But, by forcing certain movements it might force the animator to be more creative as to how and why the character needs to get into that position. That might make it more "real world". It might not work but, it is different.

GoranNF
06-06-2006, 04:06 PM
So,when is this going to start?I think this is a great idea.

utchamp
06-08-2006, 04:43 AM
Wow...

here are some ideas ..

::"my biggest fear"
::"Favorite band"
::"first date"
::"commercial for a MADE UP product or service"
::"sunday afternoon"
::"streets of **new York** [any town]"
::"bad dream"

SMWilly
06-12-2006, 09:13 PM
I'm liking these ideas, especially 'the bad dream' scenario. I'll participate!

Undead Fred
06-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah, I'd definitely be interested in doing an animation session if it was posted here... I was wondering what had happened to the official ones. I was wondering, though- would we still be able to do official challenges even without the CGPortfolio hosting? Or is the hosting supposed to be up soon?

Either way, I would still be interested if we had like a "temporary challenge" here to hold us over in the meantime... it could just be something simple like "here's a WAV I found; animate to that" or something a little more interesting like the emotion-based challenges you guys had mentioned... Anyway, keep us updated!

Junerahe
06-21-2006, 12:59 AM
I am not working against CGTalk. I am not looking to steal members away from it as I am one myself (mostly modelling as a hobby.)

Over at Happysack.org (http://happysack.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=311#311) we have begun a Micro Animation Challenge with small 2-4 second challenges for those who dont have a month to dedicate to a 10 second piece of detailed character animation. You are more than welcome to come check it out.

StefanStavrev
06-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Hey guys :)

When will sessions start ? Or they won't ? :(

LukaStellwag
07-13-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey guys,
what about "Bouncing Ball" ?
I think that's cool for a short animation.

mfanyikazi
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
Why don't we derive the animation challenges from the daily sketch group challenges? It would save us man-hours in idea generation. Daily animation Group... Intense.

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2006, 05:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.