PDA

View Full Version : rigging in maya...

azloha
04-06-2006, 01:36 AM
is it possible in maya, or max, to have a skeletion like that? a joint that split at least two, and then being joined together at the next joint............

thx...

Kestrel1
04-12-2006, 05:27 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, you're asking if in a joint chain one joint can split into two child joints, then those two joints rejoin into a single child? If so, the answer is no, at least in Maya. Nodes in Maya can only have a single direct parent. However, you could use parent constraints to emulate this by selecting the two seperate joints, then the single child, and then apply the constraint. As far as Max goes, I'm fairly certain it's the same story, but it's been a few years since I last used Max, so I couldn't tell you definitively one way or another.

Hope this helps!

lkruel
04-15-2006, 05:08 PM
Depends on how you'd want the controls to work. In maya you could put a null node where the 2 joints merge again and parentConstrain them to the null. if you do your controls well enough the animators will never know =)

lemonyfresh
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
There are a number of ways that you could achieve this effectn in maya. The above posts are both correct any item can only have one parent. You could use a parent constraint as mentioned above, the null is unessary, but not necessarily a bad idea. You could also use one point and one orient constraint combined together. You could also set up an IK system so that each individual branch has its own IK handle that are all parented benieth one null or constrained to another object. If you use constraints make sure maintain offset is checked.

CGTalk Moderation
04-18-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.