PDA

View Full Version : HalfLife Thought Dimension

BrianELau
04-05-2006, 07:09 PM
This is a rough draft of a sci fi piece I was considering to make the cover to a graphic novel I'm working on. Is this image professional & intriguing to you? Please make comments. Check out both versions.

Click on link http://brianelau.cgsociety.org/gallery/341852

TimonQ
04-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Hope you don't mind it being played around with some. I'd crop it in some like yey

http://img418.imageshack.us/img418/5666/test14zp.jpg

Maybe use that negative space thing you got going on with the foot on the lower body area, just so all that crotch on the cover isn't so... possibly distracting.

I'm just not really digging the negative space around the guy. Is the image the exact dimensions it'll be for the cover?
The colors are all pretty saturated, reminds me of the covers I'd see on the older sci-fi paperbacks at my school library. America is pretty prevalent on the globe too, and that might illicit some eye rolling from certain people. It all really depends on the content of the book, the target audience. If those things fit well then I'd just leave it.

bryanbeus
04-12-2006, 06:11 AM
coming along. With this, I think the color is holding the piece back. There's no color relationships and it looks like rubber baby toys. I think though that you should move on. It's very finished as is. The composition could be a lot stronger, and the subject matter isn't making sense. But there's definitely been put some good work into it and I think as you keep working on more and more pieces that you'll get some fantastic results. Keep it up! beaux

cuddlesmcsavage
05-04-2006, 04:09 PM
for me the main problem is the colour pallete you have used. there are way too many differing colours, they have no working relationship, and they are all too saturated. just play around with these and see what you get. although try and work some more highlights into the figure i think. i also strongly disagree with timon's cropping suggestion. i think the composition you have is strong enough, and certainly don't crop in as closely as he suggested. technique wise this piece is great, you just need to think about colour theory.

aldog
05-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Pump up your colors a bit, the way timon has done. And add some more bright colors in the background, like a small galaxy somewhere, also after timon pointed out that america was the prodominant continent on the globe I agree. Maybe put it to the left and you can have some of europe on there too.

Dianae
07-31-2006, 08:35 PM
I like the concept but the colours make it look a little bit messy and hard to read. I think that you should desaturate them a little bit and focus more on the lighting :) Good composition!

cwbailey
09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
Very interesting... I love the grid and trasnparent foot in the bottom half, it reminds me of an old Atari video cartridge cover, and anything that reminds me of that has to be cool. I agree with what everyone is saying about the colors and I think Dianae has the right idea on how to improve on it. I would also try duplicating image over itself and doing a linear dodge with the top layer. It could yeild some interesting results... Best of luck with your peice!

Batbrat
09-06-2006, 11:51 PM
I like the juxtaposition of the figure and other elements, but I'm not crazy about the use of colors. A bit murky. The lighting might benefit from some amping up.

BrianELau
09-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Most of you have commented on changing the color so I've do so. Please let me know if these are improvements, if so how much of an improvement, & if either of the versions stand as a professional piece on its own.

Click link below.

http://brianelau.cgsociety.org/gallery/

jmBoekestein
09-09-2006, 01:31 AM
That's definitely moer readable, not sure that's what was meant entirely but it works. My problem is in the cast shadows, they're fallng on a flat plane instead of the body.across the chest there should be a readbale difference in height along the view height.
tight and good picture though, very nice for that respect.

aldog
09-09-2006, 01:40 AM
as far as the color goes, I would suggest the following adjustment layers brightness/contrast layer, a photo filter and a color balance layer.

said it before and I'll say it agin
I love it

BrianELau
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Here it is Cropped, Darkened, & Desaturated. How much better is this?

To compare go to http://brianelau.cgsociety.org/gallery/

CGTalk Moderation
01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.