PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Weight Map problem?

jademcquade
04-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi guys.

As you will see from the attached pics, when I rotate my arm in layout the surrounding polygons on the model seem to squash rather weirdly. Is this a weight map problem?

Please let me hear your thoughts.

T4D
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
yeah weight maps will be needed

select each part of the robot ( use select connected ) and give each section it's own weight maps to match the bones you have in Layout. once done & saved in modeler

goto layout select each bone and give them the correct weight map and You should get alot better Deformation
there's no need to use weight maps only or any other Bone options
just make sure all the bones have a weight maps set
if they don't need a weight Turn the bone OFF so it doesn't effect deformation.

jademcquade
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Thanx bud, your reply has just made a lot of things fall into place.

Will see how I get on.

jademcquade
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM
When I rotate the bone inside my robots Shoulder Joint, it doesn't rotate around a centre pivot but rotates at the start of the bone. This does not act like a ball joint, which is what I want.

As this is not a segmented character, how could I get the Shoulder Joint to rotate around a centre point? Would I need to include 2 bones in the specified area for this to happen?

See attached pics.

adrencg
04-05-2006, 05:32 PM
When I rotate the bone inside my robots Shoulder Joint, it doesn't rotate around a centre pivot but rotates at the start of the bone. This does not act like a ball joint, which is what I want.

As this is not a segmented character, how could I get the Shoulder Joint to rotate around a centre point? Would I need to include 2 bones in the specified area for this to happen?

See attached pics.

Place the bone where you want the pivot to be.

Carm3D
04-05-2006, 07:10 PM
It seems to me that you don't really need bones & weightmaps for what you are doing. If the arm segments and shoulder ball don't deform but merely rotate, you can avoid bones altogether and instead seperate each piece into a different layer in modeler. Set it's pivot point location for each layer. Then you would animate your robot by rotating the objects or any null objects you put in your "rig" instead of bones. You'll also find that Lightwave is much much much faster when you do it this way.

Hunter
04-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Exactly what I was thinking Carm3D. :thumbsup:

jademcquade
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah guys you are right. I dont actually want anything to deform, just rotation of limbs etc. However I do want my character to walk and get it to perform a reasonably convincing dance routine.

How would i get it to walk for example?

allaboutkeys
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
How would i get it to walk for example?

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/walk/index.html

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2006, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.