PDA

View Full Version : Database combined with After Effects/Premiere

Havoc2003
04-05-2006, 02:48 PM
I have a question. Is there a possibility to use After Effects or Premiere to produce some realtime graphics on a television show. And is there a way to read information from a database into AE or Premiere? Or is there a better way to do this. Please help me out!

Resume:

I got a live television show;
I want to put realtime graphics on the television show;
I think I have to use an Adobe package;
The package I use has to be compatible with a database.
If you have some ideas or tips, please help me out.

Best regards,

Jeroen
jeroen@ninedegrees.nl

Mylenium
04-05-2006, 05:06 PM
I have a question. Is there a possibility to use After Effects or Premiere to produce some realtime graphics on a television show.

C'mon, you can't be serious? This really sounds like a trick question. The short answer is: If it's for a small local TV station, you may get away with it, if you're serious, look elswhere (Inscriber, Chiron, VideoToaster etc.). Still, let me give you some more detailed answers to illsutrate how potentially futile this attempt may end.

And is there a way to read information from a database into AE or Premiere?

No, not directly. You can read text from text files and create autoamted setups using scripts and expressions, but there it ends. You cannot control text attributes (size, font face etc.) with scripts and many other functions are still inaccessible via automation. For the most part you'd still have to render everything at least to RAM so it would be usable with Dynamic Link. So answer: 70% no, 30% yes.

On the Premiere end it all comes down to what hardware you use. If you have a video card that can process multiple streams in realtime, your chances aren't that bad given you can work around the first problem. Assuming you can by e.g. having all graphics as Targa sequences (you can playback those for instance on Matrox cards without rendering) or pre-rendered clips, it would then only hinge on how fast you can work and re-arrange the timeline. Throw in a second machine and a simple external video mixer/ switch, your chances of succes increase by 1000%.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2006, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.