PDA

View Full Version : sony yuv crashes after effects 7

djx
04-05-2006, 01:43 PM
I am using vegas 6.0d with a blackmagic decklink card to capture footage from digibeta. The result is an avi that is encoded with the 8 bit sony yuv format. The problem is that if I try to import these avi's into afx 7, it crashes. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Obviously I could convert these files to some other format, but I am trying to avoid that if possible. Afx is the only application that cant read them! Even premiere has no problem.

beenyweenies
04-05-2006, 08:18 PM
I am using vegas 6.0d with a blackmagic decklink card to capture footage from digibeta. The result is an avi that is encoded with the 8 bit sony yuv format. The problem is that if I try to import these avi's into afx 7, it crashes. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Obviously I could convert these files to some other format, but I am trying to avoid that if possible. Afx is the only application that cant read them! Even premiere has no problem.

Don't really know why that would be except maybe you need a plugin for AE that enables it to read Sony encoded files, I vaguely remember reading something about this but could be wrong.

I would say, however, that I don't quite get why you captured from Digibeta to Sony YUV? Especially since you have the Blackmagic card, why not just capture to blackmagic 8bit...

Mylenium
04-05-2006, 08:41 PM
Even premiere has no problem.

Yeah, but then Premiere is YUV native, isn't it? ;o) Brendan's suggestion notwithstanding, what I would do is look for a newer version of the CoDec in question. To me it sounds like this is actually a bug in the CoDec itself - it can't create an RGB buffer from its YUV data in time and thus AE crashes. Maybe you can also fix it by adding some magic line to AE's preference file like you would do with 16 bpc CoDecs and legacy CoDecs?#

Mylenium

djx
04-06-2006, 12:59 AM
beenyweenies: Yes, Im not really keen on the sonyYUV either. The problem is that for various reasons I would like to use vegas to capture - and vegas forces you to use only the 8 bit sony yuv format when doing decklink captures. Premiere captures to blackmagic 10 bit yuv avi's and these work just fine in after effects.

Mylenium: I will look into "AE's preference file" as a possible workaround. I was unaware of that one. Which file is it exactly?

Mylenium
04-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Mylenium: I will look into "AE's preference file" as a possible workaround. I was unaware of that one. Which file is it exactly?

It's usually in your user home directory e.g.

Documents and Settings/Apllication Data/Adobe/After Effects/7.0

By default "Application Data" is invisible, because it's a system directory. you need to flip a switch in the display options in Explorer first (should you not already have done so).

Mylenium

djx
04-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Thanks Mylenium. I had a look at it, but while I was playing around I received a link from Kristian Lam at Blackmagic Design which indicates that Adobe are aware of a problem with the 8 bit yuv format and are working on a fix.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=151

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2006, 01:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.