PDA

View Full Version : Elliptical Filtering with MR mib_texture_filter_lookup node

SirRender
04-05-2006, 07:09 AM
Using Maya 7.0.1

Does anyone know if you can use the mib_texture_filter_lookup node for elliptical filtering on a displacement map?

I'm using a 16bit displacement map fron ZBrush on my model. Everything looks great until I render out a camera move. I start to get flickering in the higher noise/contrast areas of the displacemet map.

Is this something that the mib_texture_filter_lookup can help alleviate? I have never used it.

Is so, can some kind soul please show me how to hook it up to my MR shading network? (please keep in mind that this is all new to me, so more info is better)

OR, does anyone know of any tutorials out there on how to do elliptical filtering in Mental Ray? I searched the threads but now a lot of the links are dead.

Thank you so much!

rollmops
04-06-2006, 07:34 AM
Did you try to follow the advice of Floze in this thread?
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=127477&page=1&pp=15

floze
04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
I dont think you want to do elliptical filtering on a displacement map. Try adjusting your approximation settings instead, maybe use a fixed parametric subdivision instead of fine. You wont get any flickering with fixed rates. For bumps, use the maya bump2d with appropriate filter settings, both in the regular filenode and the bump2d. No need for elliptical stuff anymore since quadratic is supported.

SirRender
04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Floze, the filter settings that you are refering to for both the regular texture file nodes and the bump2d node, are they the ones found in the "Effects" tab? (the Bump Filter defaults to 1.0)

If so, I do not see an option for quadratic anywhere. Is there anything that I need to enable in my Mental Ray render globals?

Also, is it true that quadratic filtering only works for shading networks attached to a Mental Ray shader, not regular Maya shaders?

Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2006, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.