PDA

View Full Version : Custom Outliner

JakobWelner
04-04-2006, 10:27 PM
I am wondering if it is possible to customize the outlinerEditor with user defined commands for dragOver and dragOut as you would do when normally parenting/unparenting your objects.
Furthermore the arrangement of objects in the outliner should be dependent on some attributes and not how they are parented to each other. Each object are given an imaginary parent through a string attribute which I want to visualize the same way as is default in the outliner.

I have looked at the outlinerEditor but I can't figure out a way of doing this so I'm basically asking to be sure that I havn't missed something before I start doing my own outliner from scratch.

Thanks in advance

RyanT
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
I have been currious about this same thing. Maxscript has complete access to making a outliner like you want to make. I made a script to navigate a fake hierarchy visualy and also to change their parent child relationship. I highly recamend against using hard coded string names though if you are doing the same thing. You can make connections using attributes and check those so you dont have any hard coded names.

I looked and I might have found what you and I are looking for. Have you looked at the "nodeOutliner" the MEL command reference does not show that it has drag commands but it does. Just use help nodeOutliner in Maya to see the commands that are missing in the reference. If this doesnt work you might just have to write your own using the Maya API.

-RyanT

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.