PDA

View Full Version : Glowy Girl

werd
04-04-2006, 08:32 PM
Umm, I realy have no clue what is going on in this painting, lol. I just started drawing and this is waht happend:p . I guess Im not very good at composition yet, and was hoping someone could help me. Originally it was supposed to be some kind of jedi but I didnt like the jedi version. Anywhays, I would love to get some help on my compostition and laying out a painting. Because I dont know what im doing wrong.

about 40 minutes (mostly spent messing around and undoing hehe).
http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/3973/spacechickcolor3copy2ne.jpg

Vertrucio
04-05-2006, 12:10 AM
To me, I feel that all that texture in the background is basically trying to cover for the fact that the linework and proportion on the female figure is off.

Composition is rather difficult to explain in a short post, but thankfully there are a lot of posts on the topic already on this forum. It's best to do a search for these posts.

That may sound really harsh, but I don't think composition is your problem. You already have a bit of composition in your image with the way she is posed and the distribution of the red and white noise particles.

Instead of worrying about composition and texturing of an image, focus back on fundamental drawing and painting skills. I mean, take away all the background what we have is just another overly sketchy drawing with a right arm that's too long.

werd
04-05-2006, 12:41 AM
lol, the girl, yes, I knew that would be the first thing someone commented on. It was more the placement and pose, as well as colors and subject matter that I wanted crits on. This was not supposed to be a painting, its more like a page in a sketchbook. My sketchook anyhow, is full of just crap all over. And no, you comment wasnt too harsh. thats exactly what I wanted, only not about the crappy sketch of a girl:). And I am working on my basic drawing skills like crazy, I just wanted to try something different for a change.

(I thought composition was a fundamental drawing and painting skill, that just shows how much I know, oh well.)

kiwi8
04-05-2006, 01:01 PM
placement, i think shes should not be in the middle she looks to be floating towards something but not looking, the feet should suggest where shes going. Her body is leaning toward something, if shes one the left shes has to go further on the right shes almost there. Composition should starts with what shes wants to do, create a simple story.

werd
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Thanks kiwi, now that you mention it, this is a problem with most of my drawings. They tell no story, because all the stories I come up with for my art seem childish and cutsey.

kiwi8
04-06-2006, 01:52 AM
theres nothing wrong with childish or cutesy, but they too can be an snapshot of an event.

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2006, 01:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.