PDA

View Full Version : Do You Know Hawk Chi?, Hawk (2D)

hawk
12-28-2002, 03:03 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7585/Hawk_Chi_large_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/7585/Hawk_Chi_large.jpg)

took me couple of days to finish this. this was completely colored in photosop using a wacom tablet. and thats suppose to be me as an anime character.

gruvsyco
12-28-2002, 03:41 AM
Wow... I like this alot.

Revilo
12-28-2002, 05:08 AM
I likes it too

Could you explain how you did that power orb chi ball thingy?

monotypic
12-28-2002, 06:20 AM
yes please...

decoy
12-28-2002, 06:23 AM
I dig it! :thumbsup:

Grooooovy shoes!

QUACK QUACK

vannova
12-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Wow... thatīs cool. Lots of details, vivid colors and a great lighting.. I like this piece a lot! Great work.. well done! :thumbsup:

hawk
12-28-2002, 01:55 PM
I created 8 images to show what steps i took to create the glowing ball. I'm sure there's a better way of doing this but this is my way and it works I guess.

here are the images...

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~mfhaque/images/glowing-ball.jpg

Steps to making the chi ball:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image1: I made a circle and filled it with a orange-red color.

Image2: Usin the dodge tool and a decent brush size. I start adding the hot spots (bright areas). I randomly pick the areas.

Image3: I go over the same area again and make it brighter and stronger.

Image4: I take the burn tool and burn some areas, not too much just some minor areas.

Image5: I go back to the dodge tool and used a 3 point brush. Using the wacom pen I start scribbling around the orb, causing bright lines in the orb

Image6: Same process as Image5 but this time i used the burn tool.

Image7: I blurred the orb a little and using the dodge tool, I decided to brighten the hot spots even more.

Image8: Last step, create a new layer on top of the orb, change the layer mode to Screen. Take a huge airbrush and add a glow to it.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you get confused with anything.

PS. how does a thread get voted to be on the main page?

HapZungLam
12-28-2002, 03:45 PM
I love your colour combination.

i wonder how the background are done. all those white lines are amazing, you manange to draw it all by hand?

Equinoxx
12-28-2002, 03:47 PM
wicked :thumbsup:

CarlCampbell
12-28-2002, 03:51 PM
I'm no pro at 2D CG, but wouldn't it make more sense to have the shades glow orange? I mean, the energy ball is the strongest light source in the vicinity (sp?). If the shades themselves are of green glass, they should at least be slightly more orangy?

Excellent, work, I love every bit of it! :thumbsup:

Carl :beer:

hawk
12-28-2002, 04:04 PM
The background is basically bunch of layers.

The first layer is a dark blue color with the cloud filter added to it.

Then I added a layer on top of that, taking a large airbrush, i added a big ass glow behind the character (white color of course).

now here is the fun part that took FOREVER! using a small sharp brush (size 3) and the smudge too...i pull out lines and swirls from the glowing area.

azazel
12-28-2002, 04:27 PM
Great! :)

Only thing I'd change is adding a bit of orange tint on the face, gloves, and cap - energy ball is emiting orange light, but for example highlights on the gloves are light green, not orange.

hawk
12-28-2002, 04:29 PM
CarlCampbell: i agree or it should prolly be a mix of green and orange because the shades has green lens?

btw.. here's the orginal sketch from my sketchbook.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~mfhaque/images/sketch_chi.jpg

art7sayan
12-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Cool!! :thumbsup:

I like the glowin' ball, really well done dude!

Btw, Have you made the color directly on the sketch addin' a cg linework at the same time or did you ink it before?

Anyways, great work! :buttrock: (would be cool for the "livin' toons" challenge btw)

-Arty-

hawk
12-28-2002, 05:59 PM
art7sayan: i usually ink my work and then color it, but for some reason i took a risk and left the sketch how it was. i added color to it by adding layers to the sketch. i had the color layers in Multiply mode so i could see the sketch while i paint on top of it.

Laptop
12-28-2002, 06:36 PM
:applause:
yes great work

makkah_40
12-28-2002, 06:51 PM
hey friend ..

really nice work ,

i get into here to ask a question to you :

what model of WACOMs you are using , and as iam a newbie
on WACOM machines , what do you advice me to start with , any links ? ( i am user of corel draw and PS )

poe
12-28-2002, 07:09 PM
my only crit is that i think the forearm muscles are a too defined for the character (about a 13 year old female if im right?)

other than that its a very nice piece of work

Ravennome
12-28-2002, 07:14 PM
Pretty, mmmmm.

CarlCampbell
12-28-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by poe
my only crit is that i think the forearm muscles are a too defined for the character (about a 13 year old female if im right?)

What do you mean a 13 year old female character? Hawk said it was him. Also, its a male, can't you see the "perilla" (beard sticking out of the chin, dunno the name in english)?

saj
12-28-2002, 08:20 PM
hi.

like this a lot......this deserves a bump.....so BUMP!:bounce: :thumbsup:

Shaykai
12-28-2002, 09:09 PM
hehe, just looked at the sketch with no color, lol 'got root?' hat. hehe, i have one of those.

Revilo
12-28-2002, 11:31 PM
i love it man and now that i know how you did it i'm getting some ideas in other words Very Inspiring :)

poe
12-28-2002, 11:58 PM
no that bit wasnt obvious till i looked closely.

well, it struck me it was a girl tbh, theres someone about the face that reminded me of lain

AJE
12-29-2002, 12:00 AM
Great sketch + great colors = great image.

Very nicely done. It looks like high quality comic book art, or graphic novel type work...

Very nice.

AJE

hawk
12-29-2002, 12:12 AM
thanks for all the awesome comments and help. hopefully i'll get some time and do the minor changes.

poe: maybe its the eyes thats buggin you. that was buggin me before but some reason i got use to it and left it alone.

AJE: thanks, i was coloring it at 300 dpi. i'm thinking about taking it to kinkos and making it into a poster.

CarlCampbell
12-29-2002, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by hawk
i'm thinking about taking it to kinkos and making it into a poster.

Wow, Really? I'd pay good money to get my hands on a poster of that, seriously! About time I started having some 2D posters hung up anyway... thought about distributing an autographed version? :deal:

Bane
12-29-2002, 12:49 AM
Very cool, the lighting is pritty well done, and I like the fireball. But It realy isnt very animeish, the nose is about the right size, but you used to many lines on it and they are too thick. They eyes are alot more american comic style than they are anime. Nothing wrong with that, I just wouldnt call it anime.

AJE
12-29-2002, 12:49 AM
Someone should set up a site for CGTalk members to post their signed posters for sale... commission for the site, cash for the artist...

In fact, I own CGAlliance.com, and right now it's not really being used for much... I have an idea what I want to do with it, but the poster concept fits in really well...

... if someone wants to build the shopping system... I don't know how to do heavy web-work

AJE

Merlin
12-29-2002, 01:06 AM
Beautiful work, really awesome. The richness and contrast of the colors are done very well, only critique is that the tattoo on his arm stands out too much, doesn't look like part of his skin. Keep up the good work,

Neal Holman

monotypic
12-29-2002, 02:16 AM
started a new thread about getting cgtalk posters...
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34264

that's such a brilliant idea.. i can't belive no one's mentioned this b4....

Peace455
12-29-2002, 09:13 AM
Beautiful work. A very enjoyable piece.

I'm loving everything, escpecially little subleties I'm noticing, the orangish lighting on his coat, fingers, and pants from the orb. In the original drawing his arm was fainly bony looking, but in photoshop the way you shaded it, gave it much more definintion and realism.

The shading overalll is soo much eye-candy. beautiful piece of work, you should be very proud.

Peace

M.:thumbsup:

NelsonInomvan
12-29-2002, 09:56 AM
Man this pic really rocks. I'm a anime fan so i must say :applause: BRAVO

lildragon
12-29-2002, 01:06 PM
I really love the skill level that passes thru this forum, you've taken an excellent sketch and created one very 'rich' colored version, I love everything about it, makes me feel like catching an anime flick ;)

You have received the CGtalk choice award. Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Congrats again, well done, keep it up!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame - when it becomes available

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_dec_2000_2.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

CarlCampbell
12-29-2002, 01:22 PM
Congratulations, Hawk! I was sure you were gonna get an award for this! :applause: :applause: :applause: Just be sure to overlay the trophy on your poster too ;) :bowdown: Excellent work once again, you really deserve it!

hawk
12-29-2002, 02:13 PM
Wow, Really? I'd pay good money to get my hands on a poster of that, seriously! About time I started having some 2D posters hung up anyway... thought about distributing an autographed version?

Its pretty expensive to make poster so i guess i have to wait until i get some money. yeah i know its very disappointing, why can't everything be free! Anyway I decided to make this image into a wallpaper, i recieved few request for that. I'll let you guys know when i finish it. i'll make two sizes 1024x768 and 1280x1024. resizing it shouldn't be a problem for you guys i hope.

You have received the CGtalk choice award.
Wow! Thank you so much! I wasn't even aiming for that. Thank you. This weekend rocks. Yesteday I found out my image made front page, I wake up today and see I reiceved this awesome award (yes cgtalk is the first site i visit every morning)...hmm maybe tomorrow Pixar will offer me a job hehe just kidding.

Oh one more thing, you guys ROCK. CGTALK ROCKS!

o-phile
12-29-2002, 04:38 PM
I LOVE IT!

from an anime guy to another.... rock on!

you might wanna give these guys a try (if you like anime that is)
S T S (http://saiyantriplestrike.com/vbb)
ask for the amvs.... lol

Faust1000
12-29-2002, 05:13 PM
Really great work

The colors are impressing.... Especially on the orb and on the background...

Thanks alot for the tutorial... Really instructive...

:thumbsup:

hawk
12-29-2002, 06:19 PM
hey guys, i spent the morning editing the image. i bascially added light that came from the orb. i really hope i didn't screw it up.

if you look closely. i added light to the small areas too. added some yellow-orange to the eyes, to the goat-tee (if thats whats it is), some light bounce from the arm. let me know what you think.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~mfhaque/images/hawkchi2.jpg

BiTMAP
12-29-2002, 06:35 PM
its nice :D

o-phile
12-29-2002, 06:44 PM
groovy:bounce: :surprised

hawk
12-29-2002, 06:52 PM
:bounce:

finally decided to make my own avatar.

CarlCampbell
12-29-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by hawk
finally decided to make my own avatar.

Hmm, looks strangely familiar... :D
great job, I think the update looks much more credible. You might as well leave it as it is now, otherwise you'll end up overloading the image with too much to take in.
How's the wallpaper coming along, btw?

Xilica
12-29-2002, 11:18 PM
impressive :beer:

rickycox
12-29-2002, 11:44 PM
yeah excellent work, my only crit, the foot touching the dirt seems to stick out for some reason, maybe it needs more shading?? Mmm I'm not sure what it is, I like everything except that foot :-) Yeah I love the manga style.

spr0g
12-30-2002, 02:01 AM
I have got 10 letters that sum up that piece....

sweeeeeeet

:thumbsup: :buttrock: :beer: :applause:

I love the style, and the colours and lighting are truely awsome! (can't you tell I like the style etc) >:)

fireman
12-30-2002, 02:09 AM
POWER!!! :bounce:

spr0g
12-30-2002, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by fireman
POWER!!! :bounce:

SPAMER!!! :bounce:
lol

damn... now I am too :shrug:

RISKBREAKER
12-30-2002, 08:42 AM
DUDE!!!! How did I miss this!?

:buttrock:This rocks:buttrock:

Survivor_2k
12-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Rox a Lot!!! :applause: :thumbsup: :wavey:

Projectkmo
12-30-2002, 11:11 AM
maybe look here...DA is a great art community and they have a Print section...though i'm not sure what it costs to get a DA Print account...but you can read up on it if you like..

main site

http://www.deviantart.com/

and the Print site

http://services.deviantart.com/

http://www.daprints.com

just a thought

pkmo

AJE
12-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the tip Projectkmo... :)

I'm checking into an affiliate program with them for CGAlliance right now...

fellah
12-30-2002, 04:08 PM
beautiful work :thumbsup:

hawk
12-30-2002, 04:33 PM
hey guys, i took some time and made the wallpaper. here is a small version of it. the real version is 1280 x 1024....yes BIG! Bigger is better right? still working on it.

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~mfhaque/images/hawkchiwallpaper_sample.jpg

CarlCampbell
12-30-2002, 04:39 PM
:xtreme:

I really love it! Just like I had imagined the comp to be! btw, I was wondering that if it wasn't too much trouble, you could layer a little signature somewhere on top of it, I'd actually like a wallpaper with your actual sig :thumbsup:

BiTMAP
12-30-2002, 07:58 PM
only 1k? that would be a small poster or a lower dpi print... may I suggest 2k or higher?

hawk
12-31-2002, 04:40 AM
Ok i finally finished it. You can now download the Hawk Chi wallpaper.

http://www.hawkstudios.net/wallpapers/large/hawkchi_wallpaper.jpg

heres the updated preview...

http://www.wam.umd.edu/~mfhaque/images/hawkchi_preview.gif

CarlCampbell
12-31-2002, 09:41 AM
:xtreme:

Thats my new years present for me!
Great job once again, this is surely a treat!

Kirt
12-31-2002, 10:04 AM
Looks really good! Too bad you don't have a different image to use on the wallpaper though. The mirror of the same drawing looks wierd to me. I think it needs a different pose. :shrug:

Still, it's top notch work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BiTMAP
12-31-2002, 10:10 AM
the big image link is broken :(

CarlCampbell
12-31-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
the big image link is broken :(

Try dragging the link and dropping it into your address bar. That normally does the trick...

wlau
12-31-2002, 11:09 AM
Heh, is it possible at all to make a 1600x1200 version of the wallpaper as well? If it's too much trouble then no worries, but that'd be great cause this pic is sweet.

BiTMAP
01-01-2003, 11:28 AM
I do second that!

Gkaine
01-01-2003, 01:01 PM
great tut thanks man

Gkaine
01-03-2003, 01:03 AM
what do you mean when you say . you added a big ass glow :P
whats the process and modes?

Indavisual
01-23-2003, 09:43 PM
I LOVE THE IMAGE. When you added more orange light I tihnnk it helped out the hat alot, gave it more form.

And I third that motion on 1600x1200 format.

dragonz
01-25-2003, 06:56 AM
Great, excelent, wow....i am impressed, and i love your style!!

OpTiX
01-26-2003, 12:30 AM
This is very good.:bounce: !! BTW, what are wacoms?

hawk
01-26-2003, 01:33 AM
i would love to make a 1600 version but i can't. sorry guys.

OpTiX: wacoms are computer art tablets. it allows you to draw, paint, sketch, using a pen-like mouse on a tablet. i got my tablet at www.wacom.com

OpTiX
01-26-2003, 02:42 AM
Are they accurate? And is it worth my money? BTW I like your site, but my Ball thing didnt turn out like urs, I followed the tut perfectly maybe more in depth plz?

nerrazzi
01-26-2003, 02:53 AM
Very Cool!

hawk
01-28-2003, 04:42 AM
Hawk Studios Online Store is now Open!
Get your very own Hawk Chi Poster, coffee mug, t-shirts and sweater!

http://www.cafeshops.com/hawkstudios

:beer:

Hack
04-23-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm really into anime and think the way you animated your character is GREAT. Awesome job with the animations and thanx for the tips on how to make the orb.

Aeroplane
04-23-2003, 04:06 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wow!:applause:

hawk
04-24-2003, 04:44 AM
wow i thought this thread died, hehe.

thanks

Vash T Stampede
04-24-2003, 08:09 AM
hadoken.:p

spunkman
05-28-2003, 10:02 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock:

hometime
08-29-2003, 12:11 PM
Nicely executed, great use of color.

TheRow
04-28-2004, 03:21 PM
<- whants to be able to make super cool anime like ass kicking images to..... :cry:

Mestes
04-29-2004, 05:45 PM
Thats Tight man!:bounce:
I really like the Chi Ball, thx for the steps...I've been wanting to add a spirit ball thingy to a pic I'm working on this will help. how much do Wacom's cost? Great job.

hawk
04-29-2004, 10:54 PM
wow, i thought this thread was dead.

you can get a decent wacom for 99 bucks at wacom.com

shehrevar
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Great work Hawk! I love the energie-ball!!

shehrevar
04-30-2004, 11:32 AM
Oh, and i have a question!
at the moment I am still painting with my mouse (LOL :rolleyes: )
but I want to buy me a wacom to start coloring a Comic I am working on...
the question is: what size do you use? an A3 or A4? is there a big difference of freedom in movement, or is it not really necesarry to go bigger? I ask this because there is a large price-difference between the sizes...
Maybe it's a stupid question, but just to make sure...
Thx in advance!!

hawk
04-30-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by shehrevar
Oh, and i have a question!
at the moment I am still painting with my mouse (LOL :rolleyes: )
but I want to buy me a wacom to start coloring a Comic I am working on...
the question is: what size do you use? an A3 or A4? is there a big difference of freedom in movement, or is it not really necesarry to go bigger? I ask this because there is a large price-difference between the sizes...
Maybe it's a stupid question, but just to make sure...
Thx in advance!!

I work with a 4x5 wacom and for me it's perfect. A friend of mine owns a 12x18 or something like that and I tried it...I wasn't very comfortable with it for some reason. I find myself having more movement with a smaller wacom. another good thing about a small tablet, very portable. I carry my 4x5 wacom around with me, with my laptop. =)

TheRow
04-30-2004, 12:01 PM
good question shehrevar.. planing on buying one to.. still the questions if its worth the money of buying biger, is big always better or can it be that its enough with a a6? , wounder if one should go with 512 or 1024 presure points as well...

Got any good recomendations on that Hawk?
...Since you seem to know we ask ^__^

shehrevar
04-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Thank you for your very fast reply Hawk!
You gave me some very good reasons to consider buying a smaller sized wacom... I hadn't even thought about the portability of the tablet, and since I am also considering to buy a portable computer, the small size might turn out to be very useful.

The_Row, much luck finding a good tablet too! hehe

hawk
04-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by shehrevar
Thank you for your very fast reply Hawk!
You gave me some very good reasons to consider buying a smaller sized wacom... I hadn't even thought about the portability of the tablet, and since I am also considering to buy a portable computer, the small size might turn out to be very useful.

The_Row, much luck finding a good tablet too! hehe

sure no problem. =)

doublerr
07-08-2004, 03:25 PM
nice gestures, style

Peddy
07-09-2004, 05:07 AM
not bad. the shading is a little flat in areas, but the energy ball has some merit. heck, you even 'followed' your own tutorial (http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/hawk_chiorb/hawk_chiorb_01.asp)

i think more orange/yellow light would fall on the lower body that you currently have brushed in. and like you have done rather well with the jacket, it looks better to brush in material folds without the presence of the original linework for those folds (ie with the trousers)

thats my crit. not sure if id by merchandise for it tho... :D

surrey_baller
07-11-2004, 06:37 PM
i like the pic dude.
by any chance, do you watch/read naruto? :)

Dene of Terror
07-11-2004, 08:28 PM
wow...quality stuff, hawk!!!!!!!!

alseides
07-12-2004, 11:32 PM
very nice. however, I do not think it resembles the anime style. looks more like a character from a fox morning cartoon. (not a bad thing) :)

nicholas_d_wolfwood
08-13-2004, 06:54 AM
Wow you are the master of this type of anime your images are the best i have seen in this style

great work

Spirock
08-15-2004, 11:07 PM
i like the orb thingy alot.

Son_of_Skeletor
08-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Do you have a tattoo like that in the picture?

hawk
08-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Do you have a tattoo like that in the picture?

hehe nah, i dont'

WHH
08-31-2004, 02:14 AM
you rock, I like his pose

sam4grafix
11-26-2004, 11:34 AM
OH WOW THATS REALLY COOL MAN>>>
Im not illustration man but i lv 3 c this kinda stuff!!

SAM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=189400

shadow99
03-01-2005, 07:13 PM
it looks cool i like it:applause:

puresugar
08-10-2005, 04:59 AM
Nice work. Like your colors. but your character feels as if he would fall over backwards. watch his center line.
If you re using Photoshop, just rotate it a few degrees to the left to balance him out.

Keep it up

Terkonn
08-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Holy crap, talk about people still posting on a 3 year old image! I'm not sure he is still looking for any suggestions at this point, puresugar...

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2005, 06:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.