PDA

View Full Version : scrubbing through sound in AE

DanielKochlowski
04-04-2006, 12:14 PM
hello,

I'd like to edit my reel in afterfx... but to make the cuts to match the sound I need to scrub through the sound like in premiere. is that possible in afterfx?

I really would like to edit my reel in afterfx.

thanks for any input

daniel

scrimski
04-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Press ',' (End) on the numeric pad, this creates an audio preview, hit '0' on the NumPad to render into RAM. With SHIFT and numbers from 0-9(on the main keyboard) you can set
markers in the timeline.

DanielKochlowski
04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
thanks...but I still don't know how to srub through the sound, if it's possible at all

daniel

beenyweenies
04-04-2006, 06:07 PM
thanks...but I still don't know how to srub through the sound, if it's possible at all

daniel

It's not possible, at least not like it would be in Premiere. After Effects expands everything into 4:4:4 color space and requires you to render before previewing anything in real-time. Because of this you can't just scrub through footage and sound smoothly.

You can hold down the <Ctrl> key while you scrub and this will give you what you need, but not very smoothly. After Effects isn't so good with audio, it's feature set isn't geared toward doing this type of thing very well. Big bummer since I do a LOT of animation that requires syncing to music/audio.

suztv
04-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Actually it is possible - just not pretty.

Hold the ctrl-key (apple-key for mac) down as you scrub the comp. Also just pressing the decimal key on your number pad creates an audio preview.

beenyweenies
04-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Actually it is possible - just not pretty.

Hold the ctrl-key (apple-key for mac) down as you scrub the comp. Also just pressing the decimal key on your number pad creates an audio preview.

I did mention that above, but buried in my post :)

DanielKochlowski
04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
now I know it's possible....but really it's not nice :-(

thanks everybody

daniel

suztv
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
I did mention that above, but buried in my post :)

Sorry about that - I noticed that you had mentioned it after I already posted. My bad...http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.