PDA

View Full Version : Envoronment: My Bedroom

PhillipCrond
12-27-2002, 11:57 PM
Hey folks!

I did this a couple of weeks ago, and it took me about two days to complete. If you couldn't tell from the subject, it's my bedroom, and if you've ever been to Ikea, you know where everything in my room came from.

It was modelled and rendered in Cinema 4D XL7, using as many different modelling techniques as possible, just for practice's sake. It was also rendered in several passes and composited in Photoshop.

1st pass: Very low quality shadow maps from window light, and two bounces of radiosity.

2nd pass: No radiosity, and a high quality area shadow to replace the shadow channel from the 2st pass (area shadows + radiosity = huge render times).

3rd pass: Blurry reflections, nothing else.

Total render time was about 15 hours on this 400mHz G3. Any donations of dual Athlons would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for your time!
Brent

http://brent.dreamhost.com/bedroom.jpg

odin
12-28-2002, 12:04 AM
good work, dude !!!!:thumbsup: :airguitar :buttrock:

BiTMAP
12-28-2002, 12:18 AM
I like your huas!

An Erased One
12-28-2002, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by BiTMAP
I like your huas!

I couldn't tell for the life of me what "huas" is/are, but the Bed and the floor are rrreally cool! :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

That multipass - way of rendering sounds very interesting... thanks for the Idea...

james_martin
12-28-2002, 01:53 AM
the pillows should lay on the bed, these appear to be kinda hovering since theres downward bend on the ends. The rest is marevelous though, your lighting setup is very nice

percydaman
12-28-2002, 01:57 AM
nice atmosphere:) :)

the serious lack of antialiasing in some areas is kind of troublesome though...is that caused by the multipass rendering?

PhillipCrond
12-28-2002, 02:16 AM
Everyone: Thanks for the comments!! Of course this room is 100 times cleaner than the one in my real apartment, and my actualy floors could only dream of being this shiney. In real life, they're torn up!

James_Martin: I couldn't agree more about the pillows. I couldn't get them to "sit" right on the bed, without them looking terribly intersected. But as a side note, the other pillow is deformed with a bone..

percydaman: In Cinema, the antialiasing can bump your rendertime exponentially, especially when combined with effects like radiosity (4x4 antialiasing means 16 times the sampling!!) so I decided to skimp on radiosity, in favor of a less-than-one-week render time. Good call, though! I wish I had a faster computer, or rather a few faster computers...

Thanks again for your comments,
Brent

soundwav_
12-28-2002, 04:35 AM
I really liked your work, man! and the design of the actual room :) nice taste...

I've never heard of Cinema... is the interface same as Maya & 3DS and such?

(btw - is that just part of your room, or the whole room? .. cuz it seems kinda small :surprised )

PhillipCrond
12-28-2002, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by soundwav_
I've never heard of Cinema... is the interface same as Maya & 3DS and such?

(btw - is that just part of your room, or the whole room? .. cuz it seems kinda small :surprised )

Cinema (www.maxon.net) is a good piece of software, and it's really coming into its own now with version 8. However, it's still very frustrating to model in. I find it's a great package for beginners, because it's laid out very simply. Check out the demo, you might be surprised.

And yes, that's the whole room. I even fudged it a little to fit the camera in there. In Boston, the apartments are tiny and expensive. Very tiny. Very expensive.

Thanks for the remarks!
Brent

Hec
12-28-2002, 07:15 AM
Why did you make this scene? It looks really nice but it is extremely clean and has the floor thing, which you know about. Was it never meant to look real? The room looks very nice, everything does remind me of Ikea. My only problem is the God doorway. Why did you make it so white/bright. Couldn't you have just stuck a door there? More confusion. :) Nice modelling.

Laptop
12-28-2002, 07:30 AM
... I must say, Cinema is going to be better and better, but only the artist behind the software decides the result. REAL GREAT WORK Brent Turbo :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

glintx
12-28-2002, 11:58 AM
IKEA !!!!!!!!! ":>

ALL IKEA :)

PhillipCrond
12-29-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Hec
Why did you make this scene?

Just to practice my interior lighting against something that I could walk into the other room and see. I also wanted to practice different modelling techniques on objects that I'm very familiar with. And if there's one thing that I need, it's practice!

Thanks for the remarks,
Brent

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.