PDA

View Full Version : resizing character rigs, a working answer?

tcbcoolscene
04-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Hi

I have searched the forums and there have been quite a few threads on this but not one of them has helped. I created and rigged a character in the correct units in 3ds max and then created another character and rigged in another max file, what i stupidly didnt realise is that i had created the second character about 4X too small compared to the other character, naturally i was frustrated i had spent so much time on the rig to find i cannot resize it.

The rig is very similar to the one Paul Neale teaches in his training dvds from cg academy, it has scretchy legs and a spline ik spine. The problem i get when i do what people said to do in these other threads is that the legs completely screw up and the character doesnt stay in proportion. I was wondering if anyone knows how to size these sort of things. It seems completely absurd that there isnt a simple scene world resize or something that atleast visually resizes the character in some way. I created a thread on this 3 weeks ago in the 3ds max forum and got only a few replys with no straight answer so im guessing people may know here in the rigging section of cg talk, so with hope i am posting this question here in the rigging forum. If anyone knows of ANY way i could resize this skinned character rig properly please share your knowledge.

Thanks,
Matt

metamesh
04-06-2006, 02:39 PM
mmmm
have u tried doing a Character thing? i mean, select all the elements ( bones, control objects, mesh...) and create a character and save it as a character, then u can load that character in any max file and u can resize it scalling the character kind of Icon...not sure it will work :)

PEN
04-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Using the character node is the same as grouping the character and opening the group. It will work but scaling is never a great idea on rigs. You are better off turning off always deform, scaling the characters mesh with an xform, repositioning the bones and controls and then turning the always deform back on. This way there is no scale factor on the rig at all.

tcbcoolscene
04-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Using the character node is the same as grouping the character and opening the group. It will work but scaling is never a great idea on rigs. You are better off turning off always deform, scaling the characters mesh with an xform, repositioning the bones and controls and then turning the always deform back on. This way there is no scale factor on the rig at all.

Thanks for the replys. Pen, i have figured out a way (finally) of turning off control objects in the stretchy bone areas and resizing the rig by scaling it, i was wondering how bad this really is for the character. When i run cloth simulations over the top i can always change the scale of the simulation in the cm per unit so that being my major concern is easily fixed. Other than that i was just wondering what negative effects does it have on the rig?

PEN
04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Well you just hit the nail on the head. Some aspects of 3D will not respect that the rig has been scaled, sims could easily be affected by this. Also if you ever have to make any corrections to the rig and have to start unlinking objects or working on skin things could go wonky on you. I aviod scaling rigs all together in production. If it is a one off character that you are just playing around with your self well it might not affect you much, I would never do it in production. Resixing rigs instead of scaling them is easy as well especial if you have used list controllers to zero out the position and rotations. You can just set the first controllers as active so that you are not affecting the zero pose values. You might also have to turn off the IK solvers in the motion panel while you are doing this. It takes more time then scaling but is safer in the long run.

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2006, 01:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.