PDA

View Full Version : annoying UI question

thematt
04-04-2006, 07:58 AM
Hi all,
I'm looking for a way to query inside windows the name of a folder that I would pick using a general windows style UI in Maya.I don't want to select a file, I want the user to point to a folder and then query the name of the folder he pointed too.
i'm pretty sure it's possible but can't find it.

Does someone know how to do that.

thxs in adavance.

cheers

Stucky
04-04-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi thematt...perhaps there is a way to query directly the folder, I don't know. But if you can't find a way to query it directly, you should be able to query the entire path that the user entered, and then you could use either the tokenize or dirname to then know the folder's name. Hope it helps some how...

-S

rokandic
04-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Something like this might work:
///////////////////////////////////////////
global proc string testPerformBrowser (string $path, string $fileType)
{
print($path);
return $path;
}

window;
columnLayout;
button -c ("fileBrowser \"testPerformBrowser\" \"Pick Folder\" \"\" 4");
showWindow;
//////////////////////////////////////////

Cheers,
Rok

thematt
04-04-2006, 12:01 PM
oh yeah i guess i wasn't clear..sorry.

Actually I need to query the entire path of the folder, but I'd like the user to use an Ui (window style), sort of the open file browser, I guess fileBrowser does that, but not selecting anything with it.
Just stoping at a folder, and then I'd like to be able to query that location on the disk.
the complicated thing is that for the fileBrowser to work I always need to select a file inside a folder.
I don't want that.I just want the folder itself.
Hopefully i'm more..clear.

thanks for the answers guys anyway.

cheers

Ps:
BTw Rok very much like the commercial on your site.very funny 2d degree and all.;:)
thumb up for me :thumbsup:

thematt
04-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Rok my friend sorry.;your stuff works just fine..so cool.
reading your code I didn't think it was what i needed.but in fact it is.. great..

thanks a lot. nice and easy.

cheers

Stucky
04-04-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm glad you worked it out dude. Cheers

-S

thematt
04-04-2006, 01:39 PM
yeah I'm glad too..will be ale to make a pretty efficient batch mel script now.
thanks for your help too.

cheers

rokandic
04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
BTw Rok very much like the commercial on your site.very funny 2d degree and all.;:)Thanks :)

reading your code I didn't think it was what i needed.but in fact it is.. great.. thanks a lot. nice and easy.
Yeah, sometimes things in MEL are even simpler than what they seem. No need to overcode ;)

Glad it worked out.

Cheers,
Rok

CGTalk Moderation
04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.