PDA

View Full Version : Creating different Resolution Rigs, Questions about the steps taken

AP
04-04-2006, 08:12 AM
Okay, first let me say what it is that I want in the end.
1.) LowRes rig for blocking
2.) MediumRes rig with facial setup and finger controls
3.) HighRes rig with same controls as MediumRes rig

Now, I don't know where to start. Do I set up a MediumRes rig, then smooth for my HighRes rig? Or do I set up a HighRes rig, then break it down for the MediumRes one? Is the geometry for the MediumRes rig parented to the joints? When breaking things down for the LowRes rig, do I just delete Finger Control attributes and any other Control Curves I don't need? Does the LowRes rig have the Heel And Ball Foot Control attributes? As for a Facial Setup, do I completely set up the face for the MediumRes, then just smooth for the HighRes?

Some questions about polygonal smoothing...
Can Blendshapes created from a mediumRes head be applied to a highRes head AFTER it has been smoothed? (I know they can be applied and then smooth the base head)
Should Weight Painting be done before or after smoothing?
Should UVs and Texturing be done before or after smoothing?

I know what it is that I want in my 3 rigs, I just don't know what order to create things in. I'm still in school and this is the first project I'm using multiple resolution rigs.

I really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks

Adam

lucille
04-04-2006, 04:31 PM
This is my approach....

There should be an a control rig that is your ikfk animation rig with all limb controls,
including fingers. Onto this rig you attach "bind rigs" --parallel skeletal set ups--of various levels of detail. The lowest lever bind rig will be a skel with parented rigid geo. A medium
level bind rig will have basic deforming geometry. The hi level bind rig will have all renderalble
geometry with all defromers, and will include the facial set up. The facial controls are
parented or contrained to the hi bind rig. You may want to break facial out into into its
own level of detail so you can get faster performance will blocking facial animation.

Since you will want animators to swtich back and fourth between rigs, you will need to
develop a work flow for preserving animation when going from higher to lower level
rigs and then back again.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2006, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.