PDA

View Full Version : question re: rotation lists (3dsmax)

virtualmesh
04-04-2006, 03:48 AM
when setting up list controllers for Rotation, does it matter which controller is set to active?

I have the following within a Rotation List:

Euler XYZ (default)
Euler XYZ (spinners control this via wire parameters)
Euler XYZ (to control handels - manual override)
I guess the order of calculation goes from the first through to the last controller within the Rotation List - so that all rotations done via spinners (second one in my example) will be calculated before any movements are recorded within the third controller. I understand that subsequent controllers in the list act to offset the rotations so that each step looks at the object's XYZ rotation as 0,0,0 when in fact the object may already be rotated from the previous controllers within the list.

what does the set active option do then ?

mustan9
04-04-2006, 04:41 AM
When you make a controller on the list active, then the list controller will show the user interface for that controller.

This will be much easier to understand if the controllers on your list where all different. Then when you set one active you would see the rollups visible on the screen change.

The active feature has nothing to do with how the rotation is calculated. It's purely to allow you to adjust settings for each controller in the list (one at a time).

eek
04-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Set active makes the controller in the list selected active to use. For example:

Orientation contraint
Script controller
Bezier

setting >orientation constraint active, will make this the current active controller in the list. You wont be able to rotate the object.

Setting >bezier active, whilst being at the bottom of the list will take into affect the other controllers. So the script controller, will be evaluating aswell as the orientation constraint. But as constraints work in world space your might get some oddness.

This all depends to on the weight of each controller as it can be additive one could be weighted 100 and the others 0.

virtualmesh
04-04-2006, 05:11 PM
thanks for the replies.

if there's three Euler XYZ rotation controllers within a Rotation List, is it possible to set the weights for all three to 100?

eek
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
yes. 100 and more

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.