PDA

View Full Version : my sketchbook - sitecheck please

hypnotoad_
12-27-2002, 08:31 PM
work in progress. i'd like to put unfinished works etc. in there. it took me around 1,5 hours just to get rid of these #! 1-pixel-displacements. sorry for the file-size (~250k), the final version will be smaller (at least i hope so).

http://www.radioactive.at/sig/sketchbook.html

critiques? feel free to be harsh.

RockinAkin
12-27-2002, 08:44 PM
It looks great,
Very clean style and feel to it.
Loaded up nice and fast on my 56k line.

Maybe you could consider putting a tiny lable under the "next page" button in the lower corner, so it's a bit easier to notice.

Other than that, great job.
-DivideByZero-

Per-Anders
12-27-2002, 09:27 PM
that's cool, though perhaps you could consider loading int eh pages as and when they're needed... less wait at the beginning. you can do this with flash 5 as well as mx (i did it with 5 on the gallery section of my site a little over two years ago, there the images load up randomly and you can re-randmozie the whole thing... did it as a game really). anyhow with mx it's even easier as you dont ahve to put the images into flash in the first place and save out as little movies, just load in the jpg's direct with the loadMovie command. it would get rid of some of the delay i think, but apart from that it's looking good :)

hypnotoad_
12-27-2002, 09:43 PM
yeah, i've thought about loading the pages one by one... but in my opinion you have to wait anyway, and i think it's important that the interface responds quickly to mouseclicks.

since there is no real navigation on my page, every mouseclick would trigger a new loading-message (and this can be really annoying).

thanks so far!

Per-Anders
12-27-2002, 09:51 PM
fair enough... though you oculd do it so that it loads the first three images at the beginnin then loads the other images in teh background working form the front of the sketchbook backwards. by the time the user gets there it'll have loaded, and they'll never notice (unless they click really fast through everything, in which case i guess a loader pause would be in order if they go too far). but i agree interface speed is important.

good work, and nice sketches too. you ought to be able to bring them fullscreen by clicking on teh images themselves... but i guess that's coming... also it'd be nice to be able to have some thumbnails for quickly jumping through the images (i think you'll appreciate this if you're ever directing anyone to a particular image on your website over the phone or even in person). but keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this when it's fully completed.:thumbsup:

toonscribe
07-09-2004, 02:09 AM
I would like a high-res version, and I would bump up the framerate so the pages don't drag across so much (they seem unnaturally slow).

Nicely done.

Oreo
07-09-2004, 05:44 PM
I like the look and feel of the site.. However i have just a few things. The little triangle at the bottom that just goes across the bottom before the sketch book has been opened; it looks a little funny, kinda out of place. Also the buttons should be labeled as they arn't very clear on what they do. And the pages flip a little slow for my liking. Other then that it looks wonderfull.

Queen_K
07-16-2004, 04:11 AM
Hey Love your concept of the sketchbook...very cool!!:thumbsup: Nicely designed too! I agree with the comments about the slow page turning being sped up, and also the prev and next buttons. Once you know that they are the buttons its easy to navigate, but initially I had no idea how to open your book...it was confusing so yeah, labelling btns is a must I think.

Also, it would be good to know how many pages there are, and let the user know what page number they are on. Other than than...nice work!!

Cheers!
K

MailboxHead
07-27-2004, 09:29 AM
nice look. the loading is an issue. want to keep all the pages in the file, then let the person in after the 2nd or 2rd page load. if you don't care about these being in the file, you can do a loadMovie and bring in jpeg's. Doing a loadMovie would also give you the ability to dynamically add new pages without even having to upload a new flash file, but this gets you into more intense AS. Another comment would be some sort of zoom function. You could do something cool with a magnifying glass type thing, or just make the "sketch book" size to the users browser size instead of staying small in the middle. Last comment: I stupidly couldn't find the next page button and stared at the book for a little while. maybe a little "ping" flash every so many seconds until the first click?

Otherwise, I loved it. You have some great ideas and a great eye for illustration. Keep it up
will

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.