PDA

View Full Version : Running Shake on a Laptop?

nath82
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Just a quick question about running Shake on a 12" or 15" G4 Powerbook with 1.5 Processor and 512DDR Ram?

My main concern is the the display, the Shake site says it requires?

Display with 1280-by-1024-pixel resolution and 24-bit color

And was just wondering how smooth Shake runs on a Powerbook G4 with the spec above?

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing your coments.

Nath

strosek
04-04-2006, 01:37 AM
you know some questions just scream warez.

it would run like total shit. I am a home user with 4.0 on a Imac 1.8 G5 no plug ins like the cool genarts or anything just the Cmi Big 5 plugs I bought a few days ago. I do small work making videos for my parents and anime music videos nothing big and it runs ok I guess. not the best but it runs ok. shake is not ment to be ran on a power PC single processor and sure as hell not a laptop unless you got a Windows laptop runing linux with one of AMD Highend Duel core in the laptop. you could never do work with shake on a Laptop and who the hell would?

well I take that back when I was underway for 6 months all I had was a 1.5 G5 powerbook and well lets just say I was suckin bad.

Myliobatidae
04-04-2006, 02:09 AM
I would have to disagree with the warez accusation, it sounds to me like he is considering buying shake, or why wouldn't he just install it and find out for himself, ya know if he already had it (warez).

Just using a little deductive reasoning...

Aneks
04-04-2006, 02:28 AM
I would advise against running shake on a laptop, except maybe a dual core amd on linux. The macbook pro will be no good until a univeral binary becomes available.

That said when the guy from the Foundry came around an did a demo for us, he was running a 12" powerbook.... the performance was fairly poor !

nath82
04-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the kind welcome strosek.

Myliobatida you have hit the nail on the head there. Thanks for the info Aneks will put off looking into buying Shake until I have the equipment to run it on.

Many thanks for the information people, if anyone else has any comments please let me know.

Nathan

osxrules
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
It depends on what you use it for. I have it on a powerbook and a quad G5. I was using some high res media (2000x2000+) and the powerbook just chokes. For standard video, it works not too bad but I certainly wouldn't want to run Shake on it all the time. If it has to be a laptop, I'd go for the Macbook pro to run it when the native binary comes out.

What I would actually do in your case is sell the powerbook and buy the lowest-end G5 tower with 2GB Ram. I don't know how but Apple has been getting away with selling powerbooks far more than they are worth so you might be able to get a nice tower for not much more than the money you get for your laptop.

I actually did that with a 3 year old ibook and I bought a brand new desktop (just a Mini) that was double the speed for about 100 on top of the sale price.

beaker
04-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Just a quick note, if you are going to use a powerbook, I would look to get a firewire 800 drive for your media. I/O is usually a big bottleneck in compositing and this will help to lessen it. Also get a 7200 rpm drive for your internal one.

Crovex
04-08-2006, 01:05 PM
When it comes to price versus power/quality I think the alienware Aurora m7700 with raid option and 2 gig ram is the best option at the moment.
The raid should allow to deal with HD footage and there is the option to get the Amd or intel dual core as well. This notebook is ment to be a portable workstation, not a laptop though.

Since dell recently aquired Alienware I presume that some solid highend notebooks will start to appear from dell too. And just a general advice concerning the graphics card: since you'll have to run linux, you will be better off using an nvidia card instead of an Ati card.

The aurora has the option to come with a quadro 1400 or geForce 7800.

This workstation notebook is also suitable for 3d work. screen resolution can also go up to 1900

govindablu
04-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi, have a 15"powerbook:1.67ghz, 2gb ddr2 sdram.

i would like to devise a shake workflow on my powerbook with this kind of rendering power---one of these:
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/141/
I want to make one of these. and do shake stuff on different sets.

The "randiathon" will be my 20 pounds of raw 50gb memory, that i can carry around in a robust package.

How does this sound?

thank you

Aneks
04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
sounds like an expensive and inefficient way to heat a house. Why do you need this machine ? Are your render times that significant ?

I think you will find that rendering in shake (unless you are doing HUGE film comps) is not much of an issue. Whereas GUI performance is much more significant factor.

Also I would not recommned carrying something like that around !

SOE digital
04-13-2006, 03:25 AM

*sigh*
People always jump to conclusions.

govindablu
04-13-2006, 06:47 AM
No actually me and my team do vfx shots, and digital camera footage rendering on our powerbooks. I am a filmmaker/vfx-compositor- and i use this camera system for my digital raw elements.http://www.reel-stream.com/main

all of our live footage---1 minute = is roughly 1 gb of raw data/ digital 24 fps.
So after the footage is captured, It has to be rendered into a codec (.tiff. etc.)
so not only do we need computing power for our composites, 3d, and chroma key, we need it for rendering 100minutes of footage ( about 110+gb of data).

And I am just trying to make a portable workflow-pipeline- for all of our film, music video projects..

hope that helps

Aneks
04-26-2006, 01:34 AM
on an updated tip reports from NAB suggest that shake 4.1 (universal binary ) running on the new 17" macbook pro has comprable speeds in some tasks to the quad g5 and that 2k is bareable on this machine. Add to that the new support for firewire 800 (external RAID) and I am seriously considering one !

dtoxxx
05-23-2006, 07:47 AM
I use Shake in an "unofficial capacity" at work.

I use company assets to pursue my own personal endeavors because I've made good friends here.
I'm not proud of it, but it's a means to an end (end of my job if the right people find out, but I'm a risk taker by nature..).

But at one point, I tried to use it on my own machine.
It's a G5 dual 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, 256MB GeForce 6800GT, SATA drives

My use of it was at that point more for testing some of my own ideas in it that I didn't have time to play with at work.

The performance wasn't exactly "subpar", but if I'd had only a single G5 with a gig less of RAM, I wouldn't even have bothered.

Running Shake on a laptop doesn't seem like an efficient option by any means.

soumith
06-19-2006, 11:50 AM
hey!!!

shake 2.5 runs fine on my dell inspiron e1505 with an intel core duo 1.83Ghz and ATI X1400 256mb go GPU

Lorecanth
07-05-2006, 11:00 PM

*sigh*
People always jump to conclusions.

Well claiming to have shake 2.5 running on the latest greatest laptop, like above, makes one quite ready to take that leap.

thatoneguy
07-06-2006, 09:06 AM
I attended a Shake seminar this morning in which Shake 2.5 was being run on a very nice boxx laptop.

My observations:
1) It wasnt' warez.
2) It was shockingly faster than similarly aged high end G5 sitting right next to it.

Aneks
07-07-2006, 12:23 AM
Yeah there are still some holdouts running shake on PC and yes it is obscene the speed difference between intel and power PC..

That said running shake 4.1 on macBook pro is so much faster than on a 4.0 was on a G5 it makes my eyes water !

But WTF are they doing giving seminars in that old version of the app !?!? There has been some serious re-writes since then and there is no way in hell I would go back ...

beaker
07-07-2006, 05:50 AM
yea, try just doing a semi complex roto with quickshape, then add some points and you will want to kill yourself.

thatoneguy
07-11-2006, 06:26 AM
Our license server went down taking out pretty much everything in the building except for our seminar instructor's laptop. But yeah, I wouldn't recommend 2.5 to anybody looking.

CGTalk Moderation
07-11-2006, 06:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.