PDA

View Full Version : Vray Caustics and Water

slice
04-03-2006, 11:47 AM
I am currently learning Vray and was hoping for some advice on how and when to use Caustics.
This scene is lit externally with a direct light (x4) with vray area shadows plus vray environment (x9) and hdri (x2) and then supplemented with a photometric free point light (x200%) with vray area shadows in the light fitting and photometric spotlights in the pool (700%) with vray area shadows. All shadows have transparency selected.
The scene only has low settings at this stage: fixed antialiasing, GI Ir. map at standard low settings and Light Cache settings at 500/.03 with 5 inter. samples. Although I have done some higher quality samples I still need to learn about the higher quality settings for light cache in particular with these sort of scenes.
I have attempted to use Caustics, initially I think at the default settings and my machine simply ran out of memory. After fiddling with the settings with no luck I went into Vray system/object settings and removed caustics from all but the water (to generate x 5) and the ceiling planes (to receive) using settings like x200, 5, photons = 15. I was then able to render (slowly) but with little visible effect.
I would expect in a scene like this to get more dappled green light boucing onto the ceiling plus more light dancing on the base of the pool from the sunlight.
Any clues?

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2006, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.