PDA

View Full Version : Out of polygons for detailing...

MrPositive
04-03-2006, 05:44 AM
Hi everyone,
I tried searching this topic but I'm not even sure what to search for. I have built a lovely character but suddenly I've found that there is not quite enough polygons for the ears, mouth, and eyes (at level 6, when I go above that it crashes). It appears I didn't place enough polygons in the original mesh in Maya. My question is whether there is any way I can salvage my character and add more lines at the low resolution level which will give me more density at the highest level? If I could just get a few more lines around the ear, eyes, and mouth then I could be done in minutes. As well, I would like to avoid doing a map for the detail sense I want closeup shots. Could I cut the head off, add the necessary lines needed and reattach the head in Zbrush? Or is there nothing I can do and I have to start over again? Please help! Thanks again,
Clint
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/images/statusicon/user_online.gif

DAZZAN
04-03-2006, 07:37 AM
i posted more or less the same thread about week ago and there is a thread called makeing of darkness,search for it,i did go down to the lowest level and select the polys i wanted more detail in,then divide,it went from 2.5 mil to 3.6,but you are still left with just a part of mesh at the highest,but the go and put the bump map veiwer material on and bump map with z brush tools as you would normaly,im in the middle of this method and it does work,but i will test out the darkness method for the future.

ps carefull on how you divide,if it gives you tris,when you render if you use mental ray,they will stand out like a big zit.

otherwise if all else fails get down on your knees and pray with the rest of us at the temple of pixologic and hope that they are makeing some big joo joo juice in 2.5,to help us go to at least 5-8 million.

DaedraLord
04-03-2006, 10:27 PM
see if this (http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/video.php?v=730&f=q) helps

ryankingslien
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM
As Dazzan suggests I would recommend you put more info into a bump map until ZB goes higher. :)

Check out the shots in our Underworld:Evolution interview with Luma Pictures. They got some great detail in the maps even for close-ups. :)

Best,

ryan

MrPositive
04-04-2006, 02:53 AM
see if this (http://www.digitaltutors.com/digital_tutors/video.php?v=730&f=q) helps

Oh snap! That's it! Thanks so much Daedra!

MrPositive
04-04-2006, 03:01 AM
As Dazzan suggests I would recommend you put more info into a bump map until ZB goes higher. :)

Check out the shots in our Underworld:Evolution interview with Luma Pictures. They got some great detail in the maps even for close-ups. :)

Best,

ryan Thanks Dazzan! I will definitely do this, but I have so few on the polygons that I cannot even get the features correct. Somebody on zbrush central a second ago suggested edge looping over dividing. What do you guys think?

ryankingslien
04-04-2006, 03:17 AM
Edge Looping could work if you are talking about the ears. I would definetly give that a try. :)

r

MrPositive
04-04-2006, 03:24 AM
Edge Looping could work if you are talking about the ears. I would definetly give that a try. :)

r

Thanks Ryan!

DaedraLord
04-04-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh snap! That's it! Thanks so much Daedra!

it might not be a bad idea to register there and check out some of the other videos there while your at it. they have some pretty cool stuff thats hard to figure out on your own.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2006, 11:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.