PDA

View Full Version : Death Spider (Low-Poly)

game_dev
04-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Greetings,

Here is a project I did for a school assignment. :bounce:
Mesh is only 800 polygons and was done in 3d max and rendered in mental ray.
Uses 1 opacity map (1024x1024) and 1 color map (1024x1024)

http://s94341650.onlinehome.us/php/uploads/spider.jpg
http://s94341650.onlinehome.us/php/uploads/spider_wire.jpg

smurfbizkit2
04-03-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm not much of a modeler so I can't comment on that but I can comment on the texture and design. The design is pretty good I think.

The texture could use some work though.

-For something as rusty and beat up as it is, there is a surprising lack of scratches on it
-The flat area on its back is kinda plain looking...how about some details painted in?
-The radioactive object looks far too plain in comparison to the rest of the texture (maybe give the grey a more metallic look?)
-The green glow on back is off, either lessen its intensity or add a larger area of softer glow around it to show just how radioactive it is

Hope that makes sense, and helps.

requiem2d
04-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Nice work game_dev, I agree with the above comments, but I'd also like to say you may want to add some more edge definition on the texture, i.e. weathering on the corners. Keep us posted on it :)

XepptizZ
04-03-2006, 07:00 AM
I don't fully agree with the image I see, with one piston alone it won't move a bone.

and take heed to the postings above as it looks now as a diamond in rough.

game_dev
04-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks guys,

I already submited the project, so I doubt any change will get me a better mark, but for the sake of improving my skills I would like to polish this up.

Expect some more updates soon ( I am thinking of removing those spikes and adding pistons to give it better definition, thanks to XepptizZ's suggestion)

Again, thanks everyone

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2006, 08:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.