PDA

View Full Version : Challenge #3 File Format Support

jeremybirn
04-02-2006, 02:12 PM
Challenge #3 is currently available in two file formats, .obj (for people who want polygons) and .igs (for the NURBS version).

All of the files are .rar archives. This means you need to un-archive then to extract the actual scene before you load them into your 3D program. On some systems, you can right-click on the models and choose "extract here..." to decompress them. If not, there are programs like winzip that you can download that will expand a .rar archive.

The polygonal models are low-poly models, intended to be smoothed or subdivided before use. This keeps our files small and lets you control the resolution you want to work with. The polygonal version was created by converting NURBS surfaces to polygon meshes, using the NURBS control vertex positions for the positions of points within the mesh. Because the NURBS version consists of multiple surfaces, the polygon meshes were then merged together to create a single body object in the poly version.

Any problems loading these?

Any volunteers to help with needed conversions for programs that can't read .obj or .igs?

Please respond to this support thread!

-jeremy

jeremybirn
04-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Maya users: there's no Maya .mb file this time, but I don't think it will be needed. Both .obj and .igs files will import into Maya (you may need to go into the plug-in manager and active the Iges and objExport plug-ins first.) The IGES file has NURBS models which have been tested to work well with Maya Fur and Paint Effects.

-jeremy

mike0006
04-07-2006, 03:26 AM
I'd be willing to convert these to any format that people need. Let me know if you want these in a specific format.

CGTalk Moderation
04-07-2006, 03:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.