PDA

View Full Version : Terragen + Matte

BigSky
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Some crits, please.

JJASSO
04-02-2006, 10:31 PM
terragen is becoming a real tool for matte painters, the posibilities and power are awesome, this image you got herre is great, the mood and of course the 3d models are so photorealistic
add something else maybe a secret base, or a small town , and please post a higher res so we can admire this details

BigSky
04-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Here tis with added elements. Missing a shadow & occlusion pass thru utter laziness. :wise:

Xdreamer79
04-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Great composition - perhaps you can add a bit a darker sky with a more morbid mood in it?

marcob
04-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Good work with composition! My only point is about the 3d clouds terragen, it is really dificult to get good results with it, that is the first reason I am longing for TGD! Results are always impredictable nad is a question of try and try!

JIII
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Speaking of 3D clouds in Terragen, how DO you get good results with them? I want something more reliable than using bitmaps, as they often aren't the right size. That and my painting skills suck + no wacom.

-JIII

BigSky
04-05-2006, 12:14 AM
I think that there's very little to be done about "good" clouds in the current version of Terragen. T2 has a more advanced cloud engine, which uses volumes & layers, rather than slices:

This from Alp Altiner (http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/alpalpalp/alpTerrBetaTest05.jpg)

and others

here (http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/tgd/gallery/gallerymain.php)

There's a lot of people excited about T2, which will incorporate a lot of Vue - style tech. The only drag is that it won't be free no'mo.

marcob
04-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Look at this link! I think this is one of best 3d clouds I ever saw in terragen...

http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=959802&Start=55&Artist=gradient&ByArtist=Yes

But it is a matter of right setting and try and error. As I have heard there will be a free version of TGD too!

To Bigsky I say again that you got a good composition! Are you using terragen as a imageplane or projection? I'm trying to do that in maya but can't get hte terrain aligned with the render! In C4d is a lot easier cause of plugins!

PS: I wrote ot Gradient and he shared his settings with me, if you are interested I can post his message here!

depleteD
04-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Dood I really like your picture but those clouds aren't sitting with me. I dont dig em. Everything else is amazing tho.

EliAbramovitch
04-05-2006, 08:01 PM
i'm having a hard time believing these mountions are painted:) great job

BigSky
04-05-2006, 11:04 PM
marcob:
Are you using terragen as a imageplane or projection? I'm trying to do that in maya but can't get hte terrain aligned with the render! In C4d is a lot easier cause of plugins!

In maya, I used the terragen image as an image plane, and did some quick (and i mean sub 1hr) modelling and shading, then rendered out passes, (z-depth, diffuse, spec, mattes, etc) and brought it together in photoshop. The "terrain" geometry I used was just a nurbs plane, divided, artisan brushed a bit to fit the contours, then I plonked the geo. on top. Great for stills, but too little for a camera move.

Canadianboy
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
i'm having a hard time believing these mountions are painted:) great job

its because there not :D he used terragen

CGTalk Moderation
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.