PDA

View Full Version : when to do a AUV?

krolichka
04-02-2006, 08:06 AM
hi, i wonder, if you have a mesh and then make an AUV can you then continue to scult and make more details and then make a displacement map or do you have to redo the AUV again after your sculpt is totally done? I want to add some dots with colors on my mesh so i figure, can i make AUV then use both ZADD and RGB to paint and deform the mesh and then export the color map and then the displacement map and also export an OBJ, or do i have to make another AUV after my color and sculpt is done? Hope you understand what i am trying to say :)

krolichka

jramauri
04-03-2006, 01:29 AM
When you do a 3D model, you have to assign to it a so called UV map. This tell the application where are you coordinates for textures over your model. AUV is an automatic mode that ZBrush has to assign UV coordinates to a model. You just need to assign your coordinates once. Then ZBrush will know where each point of your textures are over your model. Then you can paint and sculpt until finish your model and export as obj. All information about uv coordinates go with your model. And when you reimport your model and textures within Maya for example, everything will work exactly the way it was in ZBrush.
So the best moment for make an AUV is before you start painting textures.

krolichka
04-03-2006, 05:07 AM
does is really matter when i do my AUV? why just before i paint my texture? After i have done my AUV, am i not supposed to sculpt anymore? Cause what i am trying to achieve is i want to make AUV, and then make some dots on my charachter, so i want to have ZADD and RGB at the same time, so my dots will have the color and sculpt at the same time. So my question is can you continue sculpting -after- you have applied your AUV?

krolichka

jramauri
04-03-2006, 11:19 AM
For sculpting, doesn't matter when you do your UV layout. You can do it at the beggining of your first modelling session, or in the end of the last. Doesn't make difference. But for color textures, you must to assign an uv layout and then paint your textures based on that layout. That's why i said that you should assign an AUV layout to your char before painting textures.
So you can continue the way you're doing, you'll have no problems.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2006, 11:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.