PDA

View Full Version : Introducing...You Next Graphics Card

wmendez
12-27-2002, 05:04 AM
The guys at Guru3D have posted an Excellent review on this card.

http://www.guru3d.com/tech/geforcefx/

HapZungLam
12-27-2002, 03:27 PM
when is it coming out again?

DotPainter
12-27-2002, 04:25 PM
Now when 3d apps start integrating the ability to use the video card for things like real time animation previews at the minimum or real time render output, that will be neat. However, I think it will have to be through an extra module, ie interface layer, that will translate the application shader, lighting and geometry data into the language of the video card. Unfortunately since there are two shading algorithms from ATI and NVIDIA, there should be a standard, ala renderman, for converting shaders from 3d apps into a neutral, non HW specific language, that the card can translate directly.....Until then, it wont help much with bringing realtime cinemating rendering to 3d apps. It will be interesting to see how all of this gets worked out in the commercial sector, versus proprietary in house solutions for movie studios and game companies....

wmendez
12-27-2002, 05:27 PM
XSI already has the ability to talk to the graphics card using it's real time shaders.

DotPainter
12-27-2002, 06:31 PM
XSI already has the ability to talk to the graphics card using it's real time shaders.

Yes, I know some apps can use CG shaders, but these are "special" shaders aren't they? AFAIK, the normal variety shaders you use in XSI or any other app cannot be converted by the video card for direct rendering. Seems like this is only the initial stage of the game and to me, the critical next step is to build either a standard game/fx/rendering shader language(which probably never happen) or have each app develop a translator for their own shaders into the native shader language of the card. I don't see how you can render a scene in real time using standard 3d software without such a translation pipeline for shaders and geometry..... This would really show the convergence of game engines (with their special gpu accelerated shader/geometry pipelines) and 3d packages which mainly use software rendering. I would bet that if they did that, you would not even need to render! The viewport would already be rendered with all of the lighting, texturing and shadows as if it was rendered (maybe except for reflections)......

heavyness
12-28-2002, 12:20 AM
that would be nice to have a standard. but thing about, Maya, 3ds max, Nvidia, ATI, and others coming together on 1 standard? i don't see that happening. even take 1 of the video card companies out of the picture and it still wont happen.

FX chip looks great. this is the first chip made with the guys from 3dfx, so it should have some extra bells and whistles.

gruvsyco
12-28-2002, 01:39 AM
Let us not foget that they absorbed Exluna as well so it could be possible that they are looking to have RIB as a common language for the card, perhaps in some future release. I'm not keeping hopeful for it but, it's a nice thought.

-mindcache-
12-28-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by gruvsyco
Let us not foget that they absorbed Exluna as well so it could be possible that they are looking to have RIB as a common language for the card, perhaps in some future release. I'm not keeping hopeful for it but, it's a nice thought.

I would not be suprised at all if we saw them release a renderman sl to CG converter especially since they have the people from exluna under their hood now. That would at least be a good start.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.