PDA

View Full Version : displacement artifacts

krolichka
04-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Hi,

i have made a displacement map using MD2. Back in maya when i use mental ray for rendering i get alot of artifacts when i have converted my mesh to subd, but when i render the mesh in smooth polygons, it looks alittle bit better though. And one more thing, when i create displacementmaps i use MD2 displacement exporter, and how shall i export it in there, there is no adaptive mode in there..or? Why is this strange artifact happen when rendering in subd but not in smoothpoly? are you supposed to render in subd in Maya? I have seen alot of tutorials and they all render in subd, never in smooth polygon mode..? What is the difference? is it because i have sculpted with the inflate brush on the lips?

krolichka

Nii
04-01-2006, 11:23 PM
If you enable adaptive in the standard displacement options in tools>displacement, I think it also is enabled for MD2 as well.

krolichka
04-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Okey, so i should leave DpSubPix at "0" in MD2 then? But still, why the artifacts when i render in subd mode? Am i supposed to render out in polygons? All the tutorials i have seen/read they convert into subd before rendering (except for in Maya Zbrush Intergration video from digital tutors, i have heard that in that video they render it out in polygons, why do some convert to subd and some dont?)

Nii
04-02-2006, 10:00 AM
I can't really help you there. I myself am still working on making displacement maps work properly. I DID notice though, that artifacts usually go away if you disable "smooth UVs". They probably use polygons for rendertime rather than displacement maps because the quality is slightly better. Displacement maps work fine though, but I've had some trouble with them so I'm relying on using normal maps for small details.

You might want to check out the Maya Zbrush pipeline guide. I use 3ds Max only so I can't really help you there.

CGTalk Moderation
04-02-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.