PDA

View Full Version : My first Matte > Burton style

SebKaine
04-01-2006, 11:47 AM
So here is my first Matte painting ! This matte was done as a school project. I had to put this house shoot in day light into a night environment.

For this work i take my main inspiration from

- Lemony snicket
- Sleepy hollow
- Van Helsing

Please let me know what is wrong ! and how this could have been improve .

Thanks for your critics !

here is the startup !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/maison.jpg

here is the final Render !

http://appartager.free.fr/Perso/Maison_Finale_Mini.jpg

JIII
04-01-2006, 03:53 PM
I like it, but do you think this would hold up in a film? It's a very good painting no doubt, but it's not really film style. It's a very good work though. One question for you, did you paint over the victorian building, or did you use it as reference?

-JIII

SebKaine
04-01-2006, 04:10 PM
hi JIII Thanks for your answer !

Well i agree this is not photorealistic. Too much Brushy ! My teacher show me that there was some contrast problems , in fact on several screen some painted marks appears.

For the house i've take this photo , correct the shadow , rebuild the part with the trees on toshop. Then it's just photoshop tweaking ! i'm not a good painter lol , so i use lot of photo's and i blend all with painting and color correction.

JJASSO
04-01-2006, 05:45 PM
you 've got some nice colors here, but everything is too blury, specially the foreground house, you need more detail in the windows not just a warm yellow - orange , I think the composition need some extra work, the foreground tree with the crow is ok but it has a lot of participation in the frame, making a little hard to the viewer to know what's the center of the attention , the house or the tree. keep up the good work,

SebKaine
04-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks for critics james !

I agree , there is two focal point on this image . In the beginning the tree and the crow was there just to drive the eyes on the house. But in fact there is two focal point on my image
- the crow
- the house
=> so hard to fix the eyes

For the blur effects i agree too , to much photoshop brush , it's not very nice !

and at the end my windows looks flat !

But we have limited time , i try to make my best , but there still many problems :)

BUZZFX
04-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Sebastian Kaine ,

I think this is GREAT! Considering it's your first matte painting. It has a lot of mood and the view is excellent. I would extend the foreground tree right out of the picture frame and try to tone down the foreground tree by either blurring it or something so the house is the main focus. Very nice though! Keep it up you'll only get better!

I'd also be interested in knowing how you removed the dark shadow on the house and how you removed the tree?

SebKaine
04-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks for your answer Lorne !

In fact this matte would have been better , if our eyes were directly catch on the house !

For the technics i use :

1 For shadow correction :
- First discard the color information in order to work just the light with a hue / saturation layer
- adjust the light of the lighted part with the shadow part with a curves layers working with RGB channel
- now put the color info back and adjsut the color with the R , G , B channel of your curves layers
- copy the result in a new calc with an Maj + Alt + E and move it a little , create a layer mask , and blend the two part by painting in the layer mask

2 For the house rebuilding :
- it's a very boring process
- first i recreate the Persp Grid
- then i take some elements of the house and paste them in the good place !

my english is pretty bad so if there is something you haven't understand you can mail me at sebastiankaine@hotmail.fr

JIII
04-04-2006, 12:17 AM
Good tips :-), now do a whole tutorial!

Just kidding,

-JIII

SebKaine
04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
no pb JIII ! when i have some free time , i'll do a short tuto on this !

JIII
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
:-) thanks dude, Cgtalk rocks.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2006, 07:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.