PDA

View Full Version : reload maya.rayhosts from within Maya?

NEO^AMiGA
04-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Anyone knows if it possible to reload the maya.rayhosts from within maya? If so how... PLanning to code a lil GUI so I easier can manage my renderslaves. Odd that noone have done that yet. For someone with API-skills it could really be made to kick ass.

All it would need is one master file that lists all hosts that have the raysatserver installed. Then the "GUI" checks the clients on that list to see if they are online. The ones that aren't get's "non selectable" in the GUI and the ones online are selectable with a simple checkbox. One could even make the "GUI" ping the machines and in a textfield beside the checkbox one could have the response time from the computer. Well... there are several neat functions i can think of...

But it all depends on if the maya.rayhosts can be reloaded from within maya... HAve anyone done any research in this?

francescaluce
04-01-2006, 01:44 PM
it can. and you don't need api skills. :)

// mental ray for Maya: using rayhosts file C:/Documents and Settings/francesca/My Documents/maya/7.0/prefs//maya.rayhosts
// Info: (mental ray) : try adding host ctrlstudio:7004

ciao
francesca

NEO^AMiGA
04-01-2006, 04:25 PM
YEah yeah... But if you change something in that file you must restart maya for it to make it reload the file. So the question is if one can force a reload from within maya...

it can. and you don't need api skills. :)

// mental ray for Maya: using rayhosts file C:/Documents and Settings/francesca/My Documents/maya/7.0/prefs//maya.rayhosts
// Info: (mental ray) : try adding host ctrlstudio:7004

ciao
francesca

francescaluce
04-01-2006, 04:45 PM
I never left Maya :)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3141/rayhostmaya0dn.th.gif (http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rayhostmaya0dn.gif)

ciao
francesca

NEO^AMiGA
04-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Holy moly! You have a script for that? Somthing that's out on the net or something for your studio only? Or have i missed that this is shipping with maya?

I never left Maya :)

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3141/rayhostmaya0dn.th.gif (http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rayhostmaya0dn.gif)

ciao
francesca

francescaluce
04-04-2006, 01:40 AM
ehy, I will share when I've a bit of time to finish it.
there's also an weird thing that I can't point
out without a bit of worry... mentalray3.4 has really
great problems to link more than two hosts... so
if you use that script maya is keep freezing a lot
as mentalray simply freeze after added the host
but before starting a thread. this is not maya but
a mentalray problem. it's the same also on xsi and
mr standalone. so actually, after loaded maya if
the first render does not freeze the apz (with more
than two hosts plus the master at least on win)..
it will be really better to leave it as it is. :)

ciao
francesca

NEO^AMiGA
04-04-2006, 04:45 AM
Cool francescaluce! About the bug, sure you use the latest sattelite? Can't you just share the code of reloading the rayhost file for now? Then I can work the rest out my self. =)

ehy, I will share when I've a bit of time to finish it.
there's also an weird thing that I can't point
out without a bit of worry... mentalray3.4 has really
great problems to link more than two hosts... so
if you use that script maya is keep freezing a lot
as mentalray simply freeze after added the host
but before starting a thread. this is not maya but
a mentalray problem. it's the same also on xsi and
mr standalone. so actually, after loaded maya if
the first render does not freeze the apz (with more
than two hosts plus the master at least on win)..
it will be really better to leave it as it is. :)

ciao
francesca

DavidLessel
04-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Just run this command:

Mayatomr -updateHosts

Be aware that you have to have initialized mr properly, like having rendered with mr at least once during your maya session...

There's all sorts of nice flags, search for mayatomr in the mayadocs for a full list.

seb-desmet
04-21-2006, 10:28 AM
hello,

I'm searching exactly the same script that Neo Amiga to control MR satellite within maya
but for Maya 6.5

if somebody know where I can find it it would be great to tell me

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
04-21-2006, 10:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.