PDA

View Full Version : export unwraped max to zbrush?

fast4ry
03-31-2006, 10:26 PM
i dont know how do it. i have models unwrapped but i dont know how export to zbrush.
help.

eblondin
04-01-2006, 12:48 AM
best way to work from any app to zbrush is to export as an .obj

fast4ry
04-01-2006, 12:51 AM
yeah i do this,but what i want is import with the uvs of max and use it in brush and later export to max again.my problem are the uvs.

eblondin
04-01-2006, 12:52 AM
obj supports uvs, what exactly is your problem? you can go back and forth between zbrush and max by using .obj's just fine, your uvs will be fine.

fast4ry
04-01-2006, 12:55 AM
sure? when i try to do it i only have errors,if i modell and unwraped and export in obj format later import in zbrush how i do for import the uvs?

eblondin
04-01-2006, 01:01 AM
There are a few restrictions when importing new uvs into zbrush, because of the way other programs will reorder your vertices, making it unusable by zbrush. Other than that you can only make uv edits, you cannot remove or add verts because this obviously will also reorder your verts

-If you are working with 3ds max

1. if you start with your model in zbrush you have to export it out as an .obj to max and unwrap it before you sub divide it and work on other sub d levels. this is because when you import into max for the first time, max will re order your verts. (maya doesn’t) after you have unwrapped it, you can export back and forth between zbrush and max and max wont re order it again upon import of the .obj

2. If you start with your model in max you can import and export into zbrush at any time and max will never reorder your verts.

-If you are working with Maya

All you have to do is set the option to create multiple meshes to false under the .obj import options and you are good to go.

Also if you are working with Maya you don't need to worry about starting the mesh in zbrush or in maya. You can start in zbrush and export your model at level 1 at any time, even after sub dividing it and working on the other levels. Maya will never re order your verts as long as you have the create multiple meshes options set to false

With that in mind you need to have the correct settings in max upon import and export of your .obj

here are the import options you need to have set for 3DS Max
http://www.ericblondin.com/zbrush/obj_import.jpg
and here are the export options for 3DS Max
http://www.ericblondin.com/zbrush/obj_export.jpg

Basically you just import your new .obj into an existing model in zbrush at sub d level one. And if you didn't re order the verts it will import your new uv's correctly

-- let me know if this works out for you :)

fast4ry
04-03-2006, 08:12 PM
thanks, but the problem continues.if i have a head modeled ans unwrapped in max and imported in zbrush and y try to appy a texture ,(texture that works with the max uvs) the texture dont works in zbrush.

the other problem is

if i can do this how i can add detail to this head with this texture paint something on the face and export all to brush¿?¿?¿?¿

this turn me crazy for a long time, i only get artifacts.

eblondin
04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
are you flipping your texture vertically, you have to flip your texture when going back and forth between zbrush and any other app.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2006, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.