PDA

View Full Version : --The winter scene - RMIT in the ICE AGE--

cgnetworks_le
03-31-2006, 01:58 AM
I knew what matte painting is a year ago when I 1st visitted Dylan Cole's and Dusso's site. Theirs is nothing, but bloody brilliant. I also have a chance to watch their DVD matte painting and learn heaps.

Here are my 1sr practice I did about 6 months ago, but never received a critics from CGI people and I hope to get some here. Thanks you all and enjoy!

MATTE PAINTING.
http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9747/mattermitinthewinter4rr.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

ORIGINAL PLATE.
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5315/mattermitwinteroriginal1ox.jpg (http://imageshack.us/)

neozenit
03-31-2006, 02:21 AM
Very good work, perfect
A greeting
Neozenit

thekorv
03-31-2006, 03:48 AM
Hey, a fellow Melbournian. Quite nice, although the lighting could be better (still seems oddly sunny - particularly the tram). Try a Flinders St station or frozen Yarra image.

thekorv
03-31-2006, 03:49 AM
Freeze the Yarra next!!!

tobiasth
03-31-2006, 08:15 AM
very nice, i like it very much! :thumbsup:

KahlanAmnell
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
looks great. You understand the concept of realizm while changing seasons.

But here is an idea for you. Now that the scene is done, your free to have fantasy fun with it. Add a huge hail storm like from day after tomarrow. break a few windows or perhaps knock somone out.

Matte painting can become addicting. Trust me. I look forward to seeing more of your works.

cgnetworks_le
03-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Thanks guys

For those from Melbourne, Yarra and whole city will be frozen 1 week time (hopefully).:hmm:

JIII
04-03-2006, 11:25 PM
I like it, is the top of one of those buildings CG? maybe I am not used to that kind of arch. but it seems a bit too specular for reality. But what do I know, not like I have even been to Aus. Nice work, not a terrible lot to comment on.

-JIII

Aneks
04-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Hi Richard,

Nice painting overall. I think a couple of things worth looking at for future reference.

The character of the light is extremely bright and blooming especially on the mid-ground building. it seems that in introducing lighter grey and whites into your shot by grading you have eliminated the darks and lower mids all together and all you blacks are far too milky.

i think this is because you are trying to limit the exposure too much. If you look at the original photo you will see how overexposed and bright the sky is and yet there still areas of under exposure in the dark areas. In the matte you have brought in a MUCH darker sky and yet the overall exposure of the image is so much higher. This seems wrong to me

Similarly the bg extension that you have placed in the bottom right of shot (where Carlton used to be ! ) is very diffused. While it's true that images take on a hue and loose saturation as the receed into the distance I think you have pushed this a little far. In the original photo there is still much more sharpness and contrast in this region and this seems to have gone from the plate now.

Overall a really good effort but the things I mention make it look very 'matte painted'

yellowdog
04-13-2006, 06:26 AM
I like it... reminds me of a few winter hours spent waiting for the bus in Montreal.

To remedy the "matte painted" feel Aneks is talking about I propose a simple large circular gradient added to the upper left corner of your image applied using the overlay layer setting in photoshop and drop it to about 75% opacity (colors of the gradiant should reflect you palette from white to very light blueish then black near lower right). This should bring back the dark and light balance while keeping the cool tones of your piece. (if this description feels a little confusing let me know... I'll attach a pic next reply. forgive me its late) :)

Very good painting !! your in the home stretch to make it as real as it can get... eager to see more. :thumbsup:

DarkstaR1st
04-14-2006, 01:31 PM
haha... saw one very very nice detail.... The woman in the right bottom corner. Her coat is extended since it's colder... love it!!

You could try and bring more contrast in it via curves.

Dennis

cgnetworks_le
04-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Guys,

I am so glad to receive such as intructive points. Thank you all, eps Benoit I would love to look the image you mentioned about.

yellowdog
04-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Sorry for the late reply,
Have been in a rush for the last few days...

I apologize for the paint over... it was the quickest way I could think of to explain what I meant in my last mail (attached file). I hope this makes it a bit clearer. It's a subtle trick I use often in order to help rebalance an image.

I hope this gives you a bunch of new ideas !!

cgnetworks_le
04-21-2006, 06:19 AM
thank you very much

BigSky
04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Wonderfully illustrated gem, yellowdog.

urban-rebellion
04-28-2006, 01:27 AM
mate...bloody awsome!! and so nice to see aussies in the cg world...its all too rare. very nice pic like aneks sed the lighting is a leetle bit off, but all in all very nice. seeing as i go past RMIT all the time (1 of my mates is doing a course there) i just had to post. WELL DONE! thumbs up!

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2006, 01:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.