PDA

View Full Version : Demo reel: Character animation - martial arts and other

batbrain
03-31-2006, 01:08 AM
Hello all.
I just finished my latest reel. Below is a Qicktime link (40 megs ) and a Windows Media link ( 18 megs). It is primarily game related animation, including some concept stuff. For better or worse there is no acting to dialogue. It is something I am into doing, but I have really been focused on martial arts style stuff for the last year. Anyhow, please check it out and let me know your thoughts.
To all that post here: You have been a big inspiration. Keep the great posts coming.
Thanks.

-Brian
www.bat-brain.com (http://www.bat-brain.com)

http://www.bat-brain.com/BrianWeberDemo2006_Sorenson.mov

http://www.bat-brain.com/BrianWeberDemo2006_WMV.wmv

mttjss
03-31-2006, 01:39 AM
very nice! definitly one of my fav game reels!

really like all the martial art pieces.

my only critique would be the homer piece - you can leave that one out - it doesnt do anything for the rest of it.

5 ***** from me :thumbsup:

love to see some more in the future.

Matt -

batbrain
03-31-2006, 02:58 AM
Thanks Matt!

I left that short clip of Homer in simply because when I saw it synced up with the music it made me chuckle....but, yes, it could probably go on the cutting room floor (so to speak).

ritchieste
04-01-2006, 05:24 PM
that is sick. the part where everything is white (beginning scenes), something feels weird about. like its missing something (other than color) :P

Other than that.... :applause:

lordsol
04-01-2006, 07:56 PM
i like it. but most of all this is very neat martial art reel, i agree homer would be out it's not very impressive.

EricDLegare
04-02-2006, 02:50 PM
This is great :)

The only troubling part is when the main character breaks is own neck :wise: ( at : 01:38:19 )

Anyway this is sweet ( the very beggining is quite fun )

SRCobb
04-03-2006, 09:04 PM
My favorite parts:

Dude gets kicked in nuts.

Dude snaps back on pole.

Eyeless boy walking.

One-eyed medusa head thingy.

Awesome stuff.

kerr
04-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Wow! very nice work! 5 stars from me! *****
There are some things I think you could not use without losses... the walking girl (0:00:48) is shaking too much... looks like an earthquake... hehehe... and the Homer, everybody has already pointed out... in the other hand, thatīs the best reel I have seen recently... very nice work!

maestrofreshal
04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
definately cool!! nice fighting moves. My main suggestion would be cut out a few scenes, eg lip sync, b-girl walking, homer walking, that guy sneaking, and that flipping thing that shoots. I love the sword fight scene i would put that up front. It sees like you have some great stuff and some good stuff...take out the good and leave the great.

peace

batbrain
04-05-2006, 08:45 PM
Hey, thanks for all of the crits and compliments so far folks. I am seriously flattered!
I think, in looking back and forward at the same time, that I could probably take a few walk cycles, etc. out and make it a bit shorter. I do like the flippy shooting dude though... that was the eyeless boy taking down an Orc with his extreme acrobatics and dual pistols. Didn't like that one much??? Anyhow, I guess everyone has favorite moments on any particular reel. I am excited though that everyone seems to like my Matrix: Path of Neo stuff because it is the most recent AND I am on to bigger and better from here on out. Like I said, YOU folks inspire me.

Zephyrpower
04-06-2006, 12:48 AM
That reel kicks some serious buttocks. I'm guessing that you've done some proffesional work or perhaps all of that is proffesional...is any of that reel from student work? If any of that is from your graduation reel that's just not right!

batbrain
04-06-2006, 05:05 AM
Zephyrpower:
Thanks!
Nope. No graduation stuff. I graduated in 1997 so I wouldn't want to put any of my stuff from that year on my site. Jeez, I feel old. Those were the days when we were still trying to do 3d on a video toaster. Oh, and Wavefront.

Marcellis
04-06-2006, 06:02 AM
This is some pretty nice stuff! How much of the modeling is yours, I wonder...?

Also, the Matrix stuff is the best looking animation on the reel (it's finished, and published!) so it deserves a spot at the beginning. It gets lost in the tail end of your reel, and if you're aiming for work in the games industry that needs to be one of the first things your target employer sees.

Keep it up! :thumbsup:

batbrain
04-06-2006, 06:56 AM
I'd say about 50% of the modeling is my own. But remember, this is an animation reel. Most game companies now days like you to focus on one facet of the field (ie: modeling, animating, programming, etc.). So if you are an animator you don't get much modeling time. However, here's a link to my illustration / 3d modeling stuff:

Brian Weber (batbrain) 3d modeling and illustration (http://www.bat-brain.com/Bat-BrainIllustrations.html)

batbrain
04-06-2006, 07:02 AM
Hmmmm. Mozilla messed up my link. Guess you'll have to copy / paste this to your browser till I figure out what happened. Urgh.

http://www.bat-brain.com/Bat-BrainIllustrations.html

amitb
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
great work......... :applause:

i like all the above fight seq. specially the first one.......
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2006, 08:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.